Any network engineers here?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by nisseki, Nov 19, 2017.

1. nisseki

nisseki Byte Poster

Good morning all,

I hope you're enjoying the weekend.

Any network engineers on this board or anyone know one?

I am in the progress of studying for my CCNA and my question is due to more companies going to Cloud platforms such as Azure and SDN, has this had any effect on the field?

Are more network engineers learning things like Python, VMware ?

What technologies and skillset do you use on a daily basis? And any skills you're learning for the future?

Many thanks and kind regards,

2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hi @nisseki, I wasn't a network engineer but I was a systems admin looking after a VMware infrastructure. If I were you, in addition to your Cisco knowledge/studies, I would look into VMware NSX as like servers, network virtualisation is growing each day. I'd particularly focus on NSX and how this enables the software defined datacentre SDDC

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Right now the challenge we face in IT is in regards to Hybrid IT, how are you going to implement a system that allows you to work both in the cloud and on-premises. On-premises still requires network expertise, We are slowly starting to see a shift into the cloud, companies are inquiring about it, but also starting to realize that the cloud does not function like the traditional on-premises infrastructure, there's a lot more automation in place because apps need to be deployed faster, protected at any stack, and at the same time provide adequate user experience.

The networking construct in the cloud is quite different, from what we are used on-premises and solutions like VMware's NSX and Cisco's ACI focus on network automation, security, management, etc which if you look at what the Cloud offers in terms networking and security, even though it is not VMware's NSX or Cisco ACI that runs the network in the cloud, you do see options for networks that allow automation, easier way of deploying and managing anything from security (VM to VM) to automated deployment of networks for different tiers and apps.

To answer your question, I definitely see Network engineers automating deployments of their equipment, but also focusing on Software Defined Networking because clearly, that is something that will most likely take over going forward, but I still believe there's a lot of traditional networking knowledge that is good to have and will complement other solutions.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
    JK2447 likes this.
  4. nisseki

nisseki Byte Poster

Thanks guys.

I've seen a lot of job openings mentioning VMware but I also read that VMware's influence is starting to drop and companies are choosing AWS or Azure solutions.

Should I start looking into these technologies soon?

Cheers.

5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

VMware does not have a public cloud offering, or should I say, they partner up with AWS and IBM to provide a vSphere environment in the cloud to make it easier to transition to the cloud. VMware is still a big player in the market and will continue to be. Their Hypervisor offering is considered commodity because most organization are virtualized and out of those orgs, 80% are mostly VMware vSphere, so VMware is very relevant in the market. Only problem with VMware, is the cost of their IP, otherwise, dont see them going down any time soon.

It is also important to understand and differentiate between different technologies, such as Azure and AWS. Both are huge, but they are not the same.

Focus on what interest you most, I think both have great options, just a matter of figuring out what is the right fit :)

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
    dmarsh likes this.
  6. nisseki

nisseki Byte Poster

Thanks guys.

Any pre-requirements for VMware?