Any MS Office guru's out there?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Stoney, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Hey,

I'm setting up a laptop for a user that is working in France. I'm trying to configure Outlook to have the Exchange and user settings pre-configured, but i'm using an OEM version of office 2003 pro.

I've used the Custom maintenance wizard after the install to modify the CMW file in the MSI, but when I logon as a new user and launch Outlook the setup asks for all the settings I specified in the CMW file.

I'm not even sure if you can do this on the OEM version or if i'm using the correct MSI so I was just wondering if anyone can confirm this can be done, and if so how?

Cheers

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi Stoney,
    Yes this is how I set up Outlook for our users.
    Although the way I do it is by using the Custom Installation wizard to create a .MST file. I then run a batch file with the command setup.exe TRANSFORMS=Z:\OFFICE\Outlook\Outlook2003.MST /qb- which installs the custom config of outlook. Then when I open outlook on the machine it sets it up with the logged on users details.

HTH
    NB:D

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Cheers NB,

Do you not need to create an administrative installation point or compressed CD prior to using the Custom installation wizard?

I haven't done this because i'm installing from an OEM disc. I didn't think you could create an admin install point from an OEM disc??

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Well I do exactly the same thing as NB does. I copy the contents of the Office 2l3 cd to share on the network and then point to that when it asks for a location of the files. Keep in mind you'll have to install the resouce kit for office 2k3 if I am not mistaken, unless you have already done that. The resource kit is for the custom installation wizard.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi Stoney,
    I'm not sure whether or not you can create an admin install point from oem discs - never tried it.
    You could copy the contents of the cd to a network drive and try it.

Cheers
    NB:D

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA