Any good training programmes for MCDST/MCSE

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by jatpunjabi, Sep 5, 2008.

1. jatpunjabi

jatpunjabi New Member

Hi Everyone,
    Just joined the forum.
    I want to do these MCSA/MCSE courses. I heard about these courses through "Joskos". Everyone seems to recommend not to go there but to do these courses. Can you please advise me the best way to pass these courses and which (if there is one) is the best training programme out there. Really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sorry guys forgot to mention this. I have no experience in IT. I want to do MCDST>MCSA>MCSE (well I have been told that this the order you get these qualifications). I want to go in networking and Joskos told me that these are the courses I need to get started. Please please help me. Thanks

2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome :D

For a start how much IT experience do you have?

It is also far cheaper to go the self study route.

Also your title is a little mis-leading it says MCDST/MCSE and your post says MCSA/MCSE?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

I fully agree with wizard - we'll need to know more information about you before we can offer accurate advice. I'd recommend staying away from all training providers when self-study is a far cheaper alternative - given that you can commit to it.

How much experience do you have working in an I.T related environment?
    How many (and which) current qualifications do you hold, if any?
    Do you have a particular focus in I.T (e.g. programming in C++, Cisco Networking etc).

Update us and we'll help as best we can. :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  4. Naive

Naive Byte Poster

I agree with the above, need more info to go on than that.

As a sidenote I find it peculiar the actual difference between self - studying and training provider, I mean, If you minus the money hooks (e.g MCSE £40k after 3month) they both offer the same. Put it in - Get it out!

..I'm gunna shut up before I start TP ranting..

WIP: MCDST
  5. jatpunjabi

jatpunjabi New Member

I have edited the post. Please help. Thanks

6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

You have no experience in IT, so forget about the MSCA/MCSE/MCDST, you need at least 6 months experience before doing any of those courses.

You are better off starting with the CompTIA A+

http://certification.comptia.org/a/default.aspx

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

Kidha!

You need to start with the Comptia A+ -> Comptia Network+ -> MCSA -> MCSE
    Low to High end certifications.

The A+ and N+ are electives for the MCSA, so you only need to do the 3 MS exams. 6 in total.

Remember you got no real world industry experience so the A+ will help build on your 'theoretical' knowedge. Plus buy a second hand PC to fiddle with to get some 'practical' hands-on skills.

If you go for the MCSA/MCSE, you will struggle but its not impossible. You got any I.T background at school, college or university degree?

I have 8 academic years of I.T experience and 1 year in the I.T sector and I am still studying for the 2 Comptia certifications as they help build a solid foundation of knowledge. Then u can move on... to the higher end certifications... Anyways...

Good Luck Bhaji.

FatP :)

8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what wizard says is correct, the MCSE and MCSA are for people who already work in IT and are doing jobs that relate to those certs.

A cert like MCSA or MCSE is designed to show you have on the job experience not that you can pass an exam.

All training providers do is give you some books and tell you to read them. Then they charge you for it, why not cut out the middleman? get the books yourself and save yourself a ****load of cash.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  10. mcshap

mcshap Bit Poster

Hey,

I agree, you need experience and an understanding of the concepts, however it can be hard starting out. I would avoid spending lots of money on training before you have a personal development plan.

Have a look at job roles on cwjobs.co.uk for example. Look at technology and salaries. What are the requirements for these roles? What are you interested in.

From here, break up the certs you need into steps. Maybe 1 MCP or MCTS would be a good start. It would be cost effective, add to your CV, and would show to an employer you are serious about training etc.

If you need any help at all, let us know.

Cheers
    Paul

Certifications: MCSE , MCITP, MCT, CTT+, VCP
  11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

I concur with what's been said:rocks

Welcome to CF:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  12. jatpunjabi

jatpunjabi New Member

Thank you all sooo much. Found the information very helpful.... I am starting to understand these IT courses now (if you know what I mean). Thanks again