Any extra skills?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by becks4eva, Dec 1, 2009.

1. becks4eva

becks4eva Bit Poster

Currently im studying to take my MCDST in a few months, and hopefully after that my MCSE. So far so good. However, ive noticed alot of recruiters wish for you to have additional skills, be familiar with certain programs etc etc.

What are some of these skills/programs that go hand in hand with my career path and what would broadly make me more marketable and fill out my cv?

Thanks

Certifications: Comptia A+, MCDST
  2. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

ITIL is the new flavour of the month to have these days. Personally I don't see the point but it's meant to add a lot to your employability if you have it on your CV. I am doing it anyways as companies latch onto these types of certs and before you know it everyone needs it.

As for other skills well they come with hands on experience in the industry and again employers look depending on your level and type of job for a certain amount of years experience. Hence why in most cases in IT you have to start at the bottom and work your way up the food chain. In a sense it's like building up a portfolio for the first 2-3 years. Other certs you need really depend on what you want to do in IT. MCSE is certainly a very good cert to have but is a long hard slog on 7 exams.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Anything and everything.

To be honest, as an employer, if I saw that someone had an MCSE and bugger-all else, I would be deeply suspicious of them.

Given the time and experience required to get an MCSE (officially), if the applicant hadn't picked up a few other bits and pieces along the way it would seem a bit odd.

I'm not talking about certs here, because gathering certs isn't too difficult if you're academically inclined.

I'm talking about experience, expertise, specializations, projects, apps or equipment that you are particularly good with (but don't necessarily have a cert in).

Anything that shows that you've worked in the real world and learned from what you've done.

If you haven't got any of those things, then maybe it's too early to be thinking of an MCSE.

:ohmy

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
    Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

^This^

Repped for truth.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10