Any advice???

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by paulp2974, Oct 6, 2008.

1. paulp2974

paulp2974 New Member

Hello All,

Can anyone help, I am completley new to IT, Iam one of those people that have just turned 30 and am looking for a change of career, after all my research I have pinned down networking as a potential goal. The help I need is where the hell do I start (obviously my research ain't that good), I can do a CCENT course then a CCNA, or is it best to start with a compTIA A+, can I study for a compTIA + course and then study another course along side it, is that achiveable.
    I am looking back at what i have just written, if anyone actually understands what I am trying to say then all constuctive advise is grately appreciated:)

Thanks in advance

Paul

WIP: A+
  2. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I would start with the CompTIA A+. It will give you an excellent skill base to start from, its also fairly easy going, ideal if you haven't done any studying for years. You will learn lots doing the A+, although I would focus on one exam course at a time. All you need now is this!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  3. paulp2974

paulp2974 New Member

your probably right, I am just too eager to jump straight in.. I am taking your years of wisdom/knowledge and starting with the compTIA A+

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Another vote for the A+... hold off on the CCNA until you start working with Cisco routers... likely to be a while, if you're just starting out, considering that router administration is typically entrusted to people with a bunch of experience. :)

Welcome to the forums!!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. paulp2974

paulp2974 New Member

Thanks again for the advice, glad I found this forum, I think I will need it alot.

6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

I agree with what BM and Nightwalker:rock

Hello and welcome to CF:sunny

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  7. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB