Antivirus - Malware Solutions

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by scottm, Nov 8, 2008.

1. scottm

scottm Bit Poster

Hi Guy's
    Which antivirus is you're companys currently selling to customers and could you recommend a good one. My company currently sells Computer Assosicates Threat Management Suite but i feel it doesnt just do the job as alot of stuff gets through the real time scanners and causes more trouble than its worth.

I was wanting to look for other solutions out there and wanted you're opion on what you's currently use or could recommend?? It would need to be suitable for Enterprise or Smallbusiness..

thanks

Certifications: A+, CENT, MCTS, 70-271
    WIP: MCDST, CCNA
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

We use Sophos at work and since I've been there over a year now no malware or virus has been let through. However, we also use minesweeper enterprise solution for our e-mail filtering as well. Both combination are superb.

Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

ESET NOD32 is your best bet.

Ive installed it on loads of networks and migrated networks from existing AV products such as Sophos, McAfee and Symantec. The pricing is competetive as well, you can get a discount when migrating from another product which can earn you some £££. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

We use Panda at our place, while it stops most, it doesn't stop staff from clicking and installing dodgy software, lol

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

McAfee EPO - I've used it for years now without any problems. There are teething issues when getting to know the software but, once you've sorted those out, its very intuitive and is by far the most scalable AV product I've ever used.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

The IT firm that am with prefers Kaspersky, always recommends it to our client whether its for servers or pc's though if left to me as in personal choice i will always go for avast..

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  7. Sparky

Zeb, which version of the client do you use? Since v8.5 has been released I’ve been having major problems with it, CPU spikes with the McAfee service at random times have made the PCs virtually unusable untill the McAfee service releases the CPU! :ohmy

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

ESET Smart Security

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

3.6.1 and either 8.0 or 8.5i

I've not experienced anything untoward with either of the clients - are they being managed by EPO? If they are you may want to check the agent is current, and any nap packages are behaving themselves. Also look at your dat updating - I had an issue a couple of weeks back with a distributed repository refusing to pull a new dat from the central rep - turns out that the original pull had got ruined a couple of weeks ago due to a link timeout - once I'd got rid of it from the DR and manually ran a replication everything worked fine.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  10. Sparky

Cheers Zeb, it only appears to be the 8.5 clients that have the issue. :blink

The hardware could do with an upgrade tbh, only 512MB RAM in some of the PCs. :rolleyes:

11. -Mercury-

-Mercury- Byte Poster

I've evaluated most of them for work and am currently using ESET Smart Security (Nod32) which I'm delighted with and have zero virus problems across the network since installation nearly a year ago.

I'd also recommend Kaspersky for excellent protection but it's much harder to live with on a day-to-day basis than ESET.

ESET feels very light and unrestricted, it does it's job well without bothering you too much.

Mercury

Certifications: MCSA|MCDST|A+|Net+
    WIP: CCENT
  12. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Actually we had that issue two days ago for some reason and we're still tryin to figure this out. I last week I set up a group in the EPO to disable tree sorting and allow ftp traffic as we have users who need access to apps such as EDI 210-214, etc. So I got a call two days ago saying that the ftp is not available and I started looking at the EPO server (which is 4.0 btw) it was cpu taxed at 100% and the graph reported that 90% of our computers were not compliant. I ended up rebooting the server and thats when EPO took a while to resolve it's database and go back to normal. One the of things I noticed is that the dat version on the client and the reported version on the EPO were different. The client machine had the most recent version and the EPO client reporting was displaying an older version even though it's (EPO 4.0) dabase was showing the most recent version.

I also find that on the web interface management on the server it self is really slow but it is a lot faster if I were to access the management console through my pc.

The version of viruscan that we're using is 8.5i on all the workstations and servers. This is the first incident we've experienced since the upgrade to EPO 4.0.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  13. scottm

scottm Bit Poster

many thanks for all you're quick replys will deff like into the 1's listed above. the main sort off problems is the fake antivirus / spyware programs at the minute. we have alot of customers getting it. there real time scanner doesnt detect it but the scheldue does.

Certifications: A+, CENT, MCTS, 70-271
    WIP: MCDST, CCNA
  14. FreeMan

FreeMan Bit Poster

IMHO
    The real only way for you to solve this problem is to make your users aware. Honestly, a little tech lesson can only help them. I personnally had 3 persons at work personally asking me to help them get rid of these bots.

But if you explain them that they shouldnt trust these popups telling them that they have a virus and should download and pay for xxx antivirus, then you solved half your problem.
    For my own personal machine, though, I use ZoneAlarm Firewall, and I tend to prefer free antivirus such as AVG.
    Spybot is well complimentary, should be used in alternance with Adware for malware removal.
    Rest is eventually get reports of all process run. HiJackThis is helpfull in case you need to kill something.
    And always remember, safe mode is your friend...