Anti-spam software

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by tripwire45, Oct 25, 2003.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Has anyone tried XTerminator anti-spam freeware? I'm thinking about it. Here's the link: http://www.artplus.hr/adapps/eng/xterminator.htm

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

I've never used Xterminator but it looks good, similar to mailwasher which I use and is a lifesaver. I like the idea of predefined filters that can be downloaded, it'll take some of the effort of training the software.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I've got to say firstly, no Trip - not tried it, and secondly, I persisted with Mailwasher for at least 6 months, adding to the blocked list, etc, but with no noticeable effect on an already "spam-infested" Inbox !

But, in my opinion, it is just as much effort as configuring message rules within Outlook, or Outlook Express. You still have to alter the rules almost daily, and even then, the cr@p still gets through a different way :evil:

But then you may have found the answer, Trip - I'll give it a look, but I'm afraid that so far, I go with the "scorched-earth" policy of binning an infested account, and creating a new one ( I must add, it is always my Wife's account that get's it - mine is obviously immaculate, and free from any of that junk :noway )

Yeah, right !!!

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. kelton

kelton Nibble Poster

I must have a look.

My Primary ISP account at Demon now gets infested with 30+ emails a day of junk. Including my main "name" - even though its unlimited accounts it all arives in bulk unless you have a nice mail program.

Its got to the stage that I just use it to sign up for places now knowing I will get spam to it, and just quickly checking it daily for interesting email.

My Work and my main other email I only give out to close friends and people I trust - no web signups ect!

When I do use my demon one, I make sure I name the acocunt after the site... ie [email protected] - that way I do know who farms my address out :)

Will have to give this software a try. Is it just filter software or a full email program?

Ive been meaning to look at what email progs are out there and which are best... of course I dont really want to pay for it tho!

5. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

I don't think any of the mailwasher like programs will actually stop the spammers, once they've got your address that's it, the address is going to get spammed for ever and a day. What I do like about the programs is that they make it so easy to delete the cr*p straight off the server, you don't have to mess about downloading then deleting the stuff especially if like me you are on a dial up connection. The other benefit is that the spammers html formatted emails that confirm a valid email address doesn't get run.

Wouldn't it be nice if the morons who responded to spam got fined, that way you'd hit the spammers profits and take away their reason to spam.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

What I do now is access my e-mail account as webmail, review my e-mails and delete the spam there. Then only the e-mails I want are downloaded onto my PC. In the webmail, there's an option to bounce an e-mail. I thought this might be the solution, so I started doing it. There were two problems, tho...one, I had to bounce each e-mail one at a time, reentering their e-mail address in a separate field...it took forever...two: it didn't seem to help. I kept getting spam from the same senders. Too bad I can't configure a spam filter preference on my ISP's webmail server and just bounce them automatically as they hit the server. I'd never see the b@$t@rd$.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. kelton

kelton Nibble Poster

Most emails that the spammers use are "fake" emails. That means that hitting bounce and typing in the email addres used will not help - as it will not ever get it back.... they aint stupid unfortunatly.

I can see why you do it trip, but that would just take so long each day checking then downloading. I must admit that I am almost thinking of going 100% webmail interface.

8. Prestd

Prestd Bit Poster

It may sound a little strange, but in my (limited) experience of anti spam software, nothing quite does the job quite as well at catching the v*agra/prescription drug offers/p*nis enlargements as hotmails bulk mail folder :!: :!:

9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

i use products with white lists not ones with blacklists
    they are much more likely to block spam
    just make sure you keep your lists current and upto date!
    problem is spammers rarely use the same address twice :/

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Nice method, Phoenix.

Firstly, do such products offer a facility to import your current contacts list into the whitelist from Outlook, or whatever mail client you use ?

Secondly, come on Mate - spill the links :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

lol off the top of my head i couldnt think of any, i havnt used it since i re formatted it, used to use it at work, i really bloody should as outlook2k3 filters about half the junk i get
    ill get crawling and get a few links for ya

yes most count your address book as part of the whitelist/allow for it to be imported
    ofcourse thats on a software basis so really depends on the software

12. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

just a note
    Outlook 2003s Junk Email filter can be set up in a whitelist config

goto options and look at junk mail options, you can set it to 'Safe Lists only' which will allow email from certain addresses, or all mail to certain addresses, so say only <yourname>@domain was getting spammmed, but a few other addys you had set up that you didnt know where mail would be coming from didnt, you would add say jobs@domain to the safe recepients list, and all mail to that address would come through
    but anything to <yourname>@domain would be filtered against the list of allowed names

(yes there is a check box to trust contacts)

13. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

I am am mailwash fan

For me it acts as a filter and allows me to delete or check any "sus" e-mail.

14. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I use mailwasher as well. Very nice piece of software. :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  15. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Another method I use is to register with spamgourmet. It acts as a filter for those pesky web 'registrations to send an activation key' sites. :lol:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685