Answer Files

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by jay01, Apr 4, 2006.

1. jay01

jay01 Bit Poster

Any help please, i am working ym way through 70 - 270. And i have a great resource i think. Which really well tells me what an answer file is and how to create one, all it seems to forget to do is tell me how to put one into action. Same with UDF

Certifications: ECDL
  2. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

on your 2000/xp cd, look in the support\tools folder. there's a deploy.cab. extract the content. setupmgr.exe will help you create an answer file. there should also be a chm with all the answer file options.

[edit] ah, i misread your question. to put it in action you can call it using the winnt.exe option /u:unattend.txt

3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

What you do is create the answer file and save it as winnt.sif (.sif being the extention or file type). Then you put that file onto a floppy disk and when the message to boot from cd-rom pops up (before the blue text based setup) insert the floppy and away it goes!

PS here is my answer file i use for my lab to have a look at! just extract the RAR...
    8)

Attached Files:

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. jay01

jay01 Bit Poster

Ok, so you both managed to completley confuse me 100%. I have created my answer file that is so easy. Now what do i do with it to make it work. I have a blank HDD you could say what do i do? Will i still need the XP Pro cd or does this depend if i save it all to my PC in a folder? SO lets sa i still need the CD how do i make this answer file work?

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. zenboy

zenboy Bit Poster

jay, perhaps you could start by telling us which materials you are reading from to start this project. The reason I'm asking is because most study guides (MS Press, Sybex, Syngress, etc) would explain to you what to do with this answer file. Are you doing this after reading some general articles which doesn't explain much? Let us know so we could guide you in the right direction. If you are asking about how to setup something, it would take quite a bit of time to explain all the details, but if you ask what does it do, then we could give you a general idea and give you link to good articles to read up on. Sorry if I may sound like complaining, but many of your earlier questions sounded like you didn't much of a reading before venturing on the installations.

7. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

wouldn't you use winnt32?

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  8. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

not when starting the setup from a bootflop.

9. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Zimbo - i thought this stuff automatically installs the serial number, and drivers and stuff? So where are the details? I have only heard about the unattended installations...

10. jay01

jay01 Bit Poster

I use www.vtc.com its ok but not that good. I did see a post on here which had 3 books in it which i should get. I did ask the library and they did say they would order them. But i can't really wait as long as they are going to take.

11. jay01

jay01 Bit Poster

Oh yer and one last thing as well, more and more pc's these days are being built with no floppy drive. Like all of mine were. How do you use an answer file if you dont have a floppy drive?

12. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

keep in mind that the unattended install using an answer file is an old technology, that was introduced with nt4 to allow admins to easily deploy workstations in the enterprise. microsoft has included the unattend option with all subsequent windows releases, but in effect it has been surpassed by newer deployment technologies, or by third party deployment technologies.
    as for machines without a floppy drive that for some reason still need to be deployed using an answer file, you can try booting from usb, or you can create a custom bootable cd.
    please note that you will also find that ris still uses answer files.

13. jay01

jay01 Bit Poster

Ok i have had a mess around, and i keep getting told do it with a floppy or don't! Apparently the floppy is the Microsoft way and in order to pass it has to be the Microsoft way. So i have now got VMware and have done it that way. I suppose Answer Files are quite easy when you know how. Anyway it worked fine! Thanks for all your help. :-)

14. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

hmmm i had that thought too.. so can you say RIS and deployment using Group Policy is the *new* approach?

15. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

according to microsoft yes. but in the real world things are not really that simple. for instance, deploying software using gpo's is indeed possible, but not very flexible, manageable or scalable in large and complex environments. but there are plenty of options. just like an unattended install has always been one of many options.

16. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i actually use my floppy everyday...i change the Windows Code and let it run.. saves me time and in the future if im working in a larger enviroment i think carrying a floppy to do an unattended is harmless... i think it about time MS thought about replacing the floppy with a memory stick?? insert that with the file at setup! :biggrin

17. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

the fact that you use a floppy, that is your choice. it is not a microsoft requirement. you can use an answer file on other media. or you can use a different technology.

18. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

how? i mean have my winnt.sif file on my memory stick and let windows get answers from it?

19. jay01

jay01 Bit Poster

In my PC i have a card reader sort of thing that is where the floppy would be. That reads about 40 different cards. I would expct that is configured to act as my floppy drive so i would one day test my winnt.sif on there and see if it works.