Another's newbie start

Discussion in 'General CompTIA Certifications' started by ashan, Feb 18, 2012.

1. ashan

ashan New Member

Hello people!
    Glad that I am here. I just want to kick start studying and I am so eager.
    I am passionate about IT, though after finishing a IT&C High school in my country I choosed economics and drifted away from IT.
    So basically experience=none, with a PC operator certificate worth=zero.
    I just studied basic HW, MS SW- Office pack and stuff, at that time there was Win 98. Borland Pascal, Html and that's about it.

Bottomline I am a newbie. At this time I am in the UK in Scotland. I have the time to study but didn't have all that money that some school ask for the courses, so I am glad that I realized is possible to study and take the exam independently.

I just want to start from scratch to get an entry level job next year. This year I will study and try to make voluntary somewhere (I am not allowed to do payed work until...mid 2013. So I have plenty of time for study and volunteering.

So A+ is the start for me, right?

Quick as I need to get started, what should I do first? Buy the book? or book the exam? are the exam dates fixed or you can choose whatever date you want? Should I hurry booking or is not a hassle? Say i could book in mid march for april? or I have to early book?
    Which book do you recommend and where to buy from? I know that there's one on amazon highly rated but it seems is outdated?!?
    I am not looking into money aspect, I just want to learn, really want to work for free to gain experience and maybe next year hopefully get an entry level job so I can earn more money for future studying.

Forgot to say I am 26. I think it's not to late?! I know that for programming and developing it is.
    What do you think? Is it ok if i take a+ (both) and n+ this year? or is too much? I actually want to get a Microsoft cert also this year.

Thanks for reading and for your support!

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

If you want to enter support, then yes.

I would say buy the book, then when you're ready purchase the exam. This book is the latest version.

Who says that?

Depends on you...

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. ashan

ashan New Member

"If you want to enter support, then yes."

I want just to enter in the field. Now that you put it this way you make me think that there are other options? I thought that this is a good all rounder entry certificate. Yes I would like to do support but as a starting point, after that probably more chances and roads will open.

"I would say buy the book, then when you're ready purchase the exam. This book is the latest version."
    Thanks, will do. Anything else I need?

"Who says that?"
    People from forums. Thats how they put it, they said I've should of started 10-12 years ago for programming. It is quite true, there is more amount of data to learn there.

"Depends on you..."

I could do it, but is it really ok to do this, only studying without practice? I mean on a CV it would look better an a+ and n+ with practice experience during that time rather than 3 certs with no work related experience at all, would look like I am a certificates hunter...just saying, no problem from my part of view I could do it.

Thanks for your answers! I think that a+ is for me, as I also want to learn in english, this will be a plus for me.

4. Kitkatninja

For the support field yes, some will argue that it is an entry level cert for any field in IT. However the A+ doesn't cover web design or development, programming, teaching (yes IT teaching is a field within IT), database development or design, etc...

Choose which field in IT you want to develop and go down that route. IT is so vast and ever changing.

A PC (or a couple) to practice on, maybe some vid (eg Professor Messor), practice exams (stay away from braindumps) and time.

It all goes in circles, and I've seen it. There will be a period when all you'll see are IT Support jobs, then there'll be nothing but development jobs. It just so happens that during this period there is a severe lack of both. However that doesn't mean that there aren't any programming jobs about, just do a search on Monster for example for programming.

More amount of data to learn? Not sure what you mean. In any field of IT there is a vast amount to learn. It may be a little easier to get into support compared to programming, however if you want to progress up the career ladder the amount of learning that you'll have to do would be equal between the different areas in IT.

Tell you want, learn the language and do the A+ first, then after that decide what you want to do. You may want to continue to do the Network+ or you may end up saying that you don't like it and there's something else that you prefer.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  5. ashan

ashan New Member

Thanks. This could be a silly question but I have to make it clear in my head: Is it ok if I am a foreign citizen, can I take the exam in UK?

6. Kitkatninja

Yes, that's no problem.