Another newbie

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Hannya, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Hannya

Hannya New Member

Hello Everyone
    I am about to sign up to do a CIW Website Site Designer qualification with SkillsTrain. I work full time in a non-web design job, and teach photoshop and dreamweaver etc in adult ed in the evenings. I thought CIW would be a useful qualification and might even get me better paid work!

What do you all think about it? Is it worth £2,500?

I took their "aptitude test", a 20-question multi-choice IQ test and passed - and was given to understand that if I could do that I could do the ciw. So far, so good. However, much of the content looks a bit daunting.

I am a Mac-user

Any advice?

Thanks, and look forward to getting to know you.

Hannya

WIP: CIW Websie Design Manager
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings (again) Hannya. Welcome to CertForums. :)

I remember when I was considering going with a private IT training vendor here in the US. I took their "test" and was told I passed. Personally, I felt like I did a lousy job on their test. I wasn't told my score or how well I did, just that I passed. A little alarm bell went off in the back of my head and I ultimately decided to go the uni route. I haven't regreted it. Of course, that's just me. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Welcome to CF! :biggrin

Like Trip said, take their "you passed" with a pinch of salt.

Good luck on your studies though!

8)

4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

Welcome to CF. Best of luck with your studies. I would think hard before spending any serious amount of money.

Regards
    Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Hannya

Hannya New Member

Hiya

Thanks for the welcome and the advice.

I did wonder about getting 18 out of 20 right - it wasn't much more than a basic literacy/numeracy test. Since finding this forum (even only a day or so ago) I've learned a lot and am not going to rush into this CIW with Skills Training. I contacted UK-open-learning.com and their costs are about half that of Skills Training and the man I spoke to was very nice. I may think about doing that in the New Year - one stage at a time. Its all very well offering software, but I have that already and it seems that the "promise" of £25k jobs is a bit unlikely.

Skills Training did some "selling". The recuiter is going to ring me tonight. I shall have to tell him i've put the idea on hold for a while...

There are lots of things about web design and management that I would like to know and there don't seem many routes to gain that information. Hopefully I might find clues to some here. I'm a bit past "uni" unfortunately!

Best wishes
    Hannya

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Nobody was more "past uni" then I when I went back to school after losing my original career. I was 47 years old. Worked a slave job to make ends meet and support the family while going to school full time. Graduated in two years with another four year degree (the advantages of already having a Bachelor's). Education can occur at *any* age. I'm living proof. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!

Err can't you self-study? You teaching web design (if i understood correct? :oops: ) so why not go down that route? I bet its alot cheaper!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  8. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Hello and welcome to CertForums, Hannya! :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi and welcome, Hannya. Sorry the door was kinda stuck when you first arrived ! :wink:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  10. Hannya

Hannya New Member

Hi All
    Sort of got into web design teaching by default - the usual tutor didn't turn up so I stepped in - a bit of a steep learning curve for me in 5 weeks! And the college uses Frontpage - so I had to use that rather than Dreamweaver (which I'm more used to).

I would welcome some self-study - finding the right course seems to be the problem. Completing a course and getting a meaningful qualification is the goal, and trying to find one that covers stuff I need to know hasn't proved that easy.

I've heard that many successful web designers start out in graphic design and then transfer that knowledge to the web. Is that a better route than something like CIW? Or both? I'm mostly self-taught - been on a few short courses to build on existing knowledge. Did a multimedia course a few years ago and dabbled with Director, but couldn't get the program at home because we have Mac, so failed to progress with that. Thought I might do a one-day on Flash to get started.

What I really would like to do is some serious study, like a web design degree course, but self-study. Redundancy doesn't look at all certain (and I can't afford to give up the day job!). Any pointers, anybody?

Cheers!
    Hannya

11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Ouch, Front page yuk :eek:

Welcome to the forum Hannya, and good luck with whatever you decide.

My best advice is to really do your research before parting with monies up front. Training companies come and go, some are good some not so. You can teach, so teach yourself.

You will get more advice if you post your questions regarding web design in the related forum. This is a general forum for saying hello but not all posters interested in web design will look here.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)