another newbie

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by pete1, Apr 4, 2008.

1. pete1

pete1 Bit Poster

hi everyone just introducing myself and saying hello.

joined this forum cus looking at a career in i.t. and wanted some advice. ive been looking at long distance learning and the courses available. i have basic computer knowledge having used one for a number of years now. mcse looks the main one but would i be better off doing CompTIA A+ and Network+ first as a starting point. can anyone reccomend any companies who do long distance learning.

all advice welcome and once again hello to all :biggrin

Certifications: ECDL
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. pete1

pete1 Bit Poster

cheers harry and thanks for welcoming me. if you any advice on my post it would be greatly accepted

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

Yes you should start with the A+ & N+ as in regards to distance learning, have you not thought about self studying.

Here's how distance learning works: you pay a large some of money to a company, they send you some books which you have to read yourself and the may provide you with some support & the odd training day.

Self study is exactly the same but you do not have to pay out a large some of money, to get some books you could get yourself and if you need advice you can ask on here. As for the practicle side you could get your self a cheap computer from a computer fair or recycling centre.

If you feel you need a course you are best looking at your local college.

And lastly you should not attempt the MCSE until you have been working in a relevant job for around a year.

Good luck.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. stutheview

stutheview Byte Poster

Hi Pete and welcome.

If you're starting out on an IT career then the A+ and Network+ are great courses to do, and if you want to go on to MCSA and MCSE they'd be a great help, as well as counting towards your MCSA.

There are lots of threads on CF about how to study, but the easiest and most cost effective is the self study route. Buy a few books, buy some second hand PCs to work on, look on here and ask questions of the guys and gals (we're nice really :D) and you'll be going in the right direction. I found that looking in PCs and going through the Mike Myers A+ book helped a lot. This will cost much less than going the long distance route.

Any way, have a look at some of the other threads and see what the other guys have said before.

HTH

Stu

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 70-270 70-290
    WIP: 70-291
  6. stutheview

stutheview Byte Poster

Super speedy typing GBL! I must try to learn to speed type! :biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 70-270 70-290
    WIP: 70-291
  7. pete1

pete1 Bit Poster

thanks for the advice. you must have read my mind - just been looking at the self study route and looking at mike meyers book on amazon.

once again thanks

8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I used to be a really fast typer, I used to practice loads with Mavis Beacons Typing tutor :D that was a looooong time ago.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Hi pete1,
    Welcome to the forums.

Good luck with the self-study route :study -looks like that's where you're going. 8)

10. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  11. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CF! 8)

Another vote for self-study here...

12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Another vote for the A+, then Network+... and another vote for self-study.

Hold off on the MCSE for a few years... until you've got a year administering servers on a network... not just a year in IT, but a year doing that job.

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!