Another new boy looking for some good advice !

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by olizoo, Apr 25, 2009.

1. olizoo

olizoo New Member

Hi everybody what a good find this site is . . I was all set to send my cheque to a TP for a Web Development course and then I saw the endless warnings on these forums about the risks involved so I thought I should ask some questions of people in the know (thats you !) before going any further !

I'm interested in getting into Web Development but only know what I've been told by the sales guy at Advent and I really don't know what to think . . does anybody have any advice on the best way to proceed and the quals I should be looking to get please ?

I've been in the music biz for 15 years but sold up and moved to Australia a year and a half ago with my girlfriend and 2 dogs however we're having twins later in the year and its very dull down here so we're moving back to Poole in a month ! My business involved managing bands and artists and producing music events and a lot of what I did was web based so I have an interest in the subject and can see myself setting up as a web development consultant once I'm qualified as I know a lot of designers and other web tech types and think I can do a good job of advising on how and why to get a site together and promote and trade through it while developing data bases etc

Does that sound like web development is the way to go ??

Any tips greatly appreciated !!

Certifications: None yet !
    WIP: Trying to decide !
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

When it comes to certs two professional certification routes springs to mind: CIW & the Adobe ACA certification programs.

Of course there are academic programs like your BSc in Web development, depending what the requirements are locally for jobs, you may have to gain that also (however you will have to look into that if you stay in Oz).

However the number one thing for employers/prospective employers when it comes to web development is your portfolio. While studying start to develop your portfolio so when presented with an interview you can display your talents.

A good starting point would be to look here at 3Schools, they have free online tutorials.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security