Another Incorrect Question

Discussion in 'A+' started by supernova, Sep 3, 2008.

1. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Running through a list of test questions today, been ill so fallen back again.

Found this one....

What is the IP address used to test your network card to see if it is functioning properly?
    a. 169.254.0.0
    b. 192.168.0.1
    c. 255.255.255.255
    d. 127.0.0.1 <--- there answer

I couldn't believe this, the local host isn't route'ble via any NIC, you dont even need a NIC to use it.
    So how did they work this one out. :rolleyes:

Andi

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  2. Crito

Crito Banned

You ping the loopback interface to test whether the IP stack is setup and configured properly. But I have to agree, the question is worded very poorly.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  3. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Erm 127.0.0.1 is the loopback adapter and is used to test a network card to make sure is functioning and installed correctly. It is an IP address set aside just for that purpose.

Am I missing something because I would answer D to the question:oops:? Are you reading too much into the question Andi?

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Agree with Tim and Crit - the question is perfectly accurate. It may not be worded very well (in fact, it ISN'T worded very well) but it IS correct. If you ping the loopback address and don't get a response, you've got bigger problems than anything related to network connectivity - its always the first thing you should check. No response from a ping to the local loopback indicates that there is something wrong with the TCP/IP stack and no amount of fiddling with anything more complicated will resolve any issues you might be having - its time to rebuild the stack!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

What more can I say? Other users type far too quickly.

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

In most TCP/IP stacks using the loopback address goes nowhere near any hardware. This is made clearer on Unix machines where the interface is usually something like lo0 rather than fxp0.

This looks to me like a poorly worded question. Where did it come from?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. supernova

when you Ping 127.0.0.1 it doesnt even go through a NIC so how can it test a NIC

Like Crito said your testing the tcp/ip stack not a individual NIC

Only way to test a NIC is to ping another PC, router or other device thats routable

PS 127.0.0.1 is use by a lot of software including firewalls

Andi

8. supernova

I don't really want to say lets say one of the top providers of practice questions :tune

Andi

9. supernova

But the question is to test your network card (ie the card its self), I know where your coming form .. but i still question the validity. Its worded very badly

Andi

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

<searching our A+ product>

Nope... it's not us! :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. supernova

To really test a NIC you use its assigned ip address whilst its plugged into a hub/switch or a loopback device.

12. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Hi

I agree that 127.0.0.1 is incorrect. I sometimes use laptops for web dev, often not connected to a network, yet can call up the installed web servers (IIS on windows usually, or apache on the Mac) default page with 127.0.0.1. Even with wireless switched off, and no ethernet connected. Therefore, a call to 127.0.0.1 doesn't utilise any network cards.

Pinging 127.0.0.1 tests the IP stack, as posted previously by a couple of people, rather than the physical NIC. That said, I'd attempt ping that to see if there is a software issue, before delving further into the troubleshooting process.

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I agree, it's a badly worded question.. the loopback address doesn't test hardware.

However, there are many poorly worded questions around.. and it is clear what answer they expected you to choose.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. Logicum

Logicum Bit Poster

http://www.ping127001.com/whyping.htm

It's what you do- you ping the loopback address of a computer to test it's internal net-worthiness. What you *call* it might be questionable- but I think in general the reader should understand that what you are testing is networking (and specifically the stack) *because* there is a communications error when trying to use the card. And I was always taught to test first at the hardware level- cables, connectors, and then travel on up through the layers before resorting to internal stack tests.

Computer can't connect to network- "ok, I will ping so-and-so before looking at anything else"

1 hour later...

"oh- the cable was out!"

:biggrin

WIP: Many
  15. supernova

I do agree... but some people use these materials, who know no different, take it as gospel.

I actually played the Meyers AIO cd the other night i couldn't believe the mount of differences with the book and it was made by the same guy.

Its the same between different authors of these materials, i see totally different explanations.. i am just lucky i know which is right .... i see people who know no different learning utter crap!

16. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Bad question although the other three potential answers are obviously wrong. Sometimes eliminating the wrong answers can help you answer this type of question even though the actual answer is questionable.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  17. supernova

Yes its testing the stack not the NIC!..... the question asks you to test the NIC! .. example if you had a system with 2 NICS one worked and the other didn't ... pinging 127.0.01 would tell you jack

18. supernova

Yes but that's not the point.

19. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I know mate but even though the question is badly written you still have to select the “right” answer to score some points in the exam.

Out of the four options pinging 127.0.0.1 is only feasible answer to do any testing for network connectivity.

I agree the question as a whole is completely wrong though.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  20. Logicum

Logicum Bit Poster

As I said- what you (they in this case) call it might be questionable, but it should be obvious from the answers given what they are looking for. Simple. In the *real* world, as I also stated, things would be different- testing 127.0.0.1 *before* looking at the hardware layer etc would be a little premature since it only tests the stack and not the hardware.

:blink

WIP: Many