Another Hello All

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by strayduck9, Jun 3, 2009.

1. strayduck9

strayduck9 Bit Poster

Hi

Just thought I would drop a quick note to say hello as I have just joined and tell you a bit about myself.

I have no certifications\qualifications in IT what so ever however have been working in the field for over 8 years. Started on the help desk logging calls and have worked up through first and second line support and am now the IT Manager for a small company. I look after a Windows 2003 SBS domain with 3 additional member servers providing Blackberry services, file and print services, Sharepoint services 3 intranet and external client sites, Exchange and around 35 desktops\laptops. I am also responsible for a Linux Unified Threat Management firewall.

I did have a support guy working under me however we had to let him go as he was a bit naughty so am now on my own managing the whole lot for a while :-(

I think I have been very lucky to get where I am now without the formentioned certifications\qualifications so I now feel it's time to get that shiny certificate.

I have decided to jump in at the deep end and do 70-290 followed by 70-291. Will probably then go back and do 70-270 but not sure what to do after that to make up an MCSA (don't think I have the patience and time to go for MCSE) Think my 3 options for the last exam will either be Sharepoint Services 3, Exchange or Security.

Well that's enough rubbish from me.

Cyas

Stray

2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

It if was me (well, it kinda is as I'm doing a similar set of exams) I'd choose 70-271 and 70-272 for the MCDST.

Should be easy enough with your first-line/second-line experience.

Hello and welcome to the forums! :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums ! :biggrin

Lots of options available to you with that background - any chance you can get your employer to pay for exams and study material ?

Perhaps look at ITIL too ?

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  6. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Hello & Welcome to CF.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  7. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Welcome to CF, Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  8. strayduck9

strayduck9 Bit Poster

Thanks for the hellos

ITIL Foundation is on the cards for me and hopefully the company will pay. As for the others i will go down the home study route with a few good books and a test lab. If that fails then i will ask the company to pay for some cbt's which they probably would pay for.

I have looked at the MCDST option and am keen to do the Windows 2003 Server exams first. Mainly because I want to confirm to myself that what i have learnt is correct when administering our servers.

Cheers

Stray