Another desktop support question

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by shaido7, Jan 3, 2011.

1. shaido7

shaido7 New Member

Which certs do I need for a help desk /desktop support job ?

After a+/net+ There is mcdst which is win xp , There are vista and win 7 help desk certs. There are various kinds of user support certifications which is causing me to become confused about what to take first. There is windows 7 regular support and then enterprise I think. Which is more readily available to increase my job opportunity's and what is the difference in pay roughly?

I am preparing to start school on the 10th here is what I am taking with my pell grant money.

http://www.seminolestate.edu/net/nsgen-as.php

The green check marks next to the course indicate the classes I will be taking.

2. JSH333

JSH333 Byte Poster

I think A+ then Network+ is a good place to start, gives a nice overview in preperation for other certs.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSA
  3. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

A+ is a good place to start as it's a good knowledge filler and Network+ is a good follow on. Beyond that MCDST is a good cert for XP but is set to retire sometime this year. Beyond that I would concentrate on Windows 7 certs and skip Vista. A good starting place is probably the MCTS 70-680 which is a general overview cert on Windows 7. After you have the basics nailed down then there are plenty of MCTS/MCITP certs in different Microsoft technologies that you could pursue or go down the Cisco route. I personally would sit down and see what you want to do short/medium and long term and formulate a training path that hits these goals. You can tweak it as you go a long otherwise if your like me your head starts spinning when you want to do too many things at once.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

You do not need any certs to entry the IT field, however they do help :) Normally the A+, the Network+, and the MCDST (or the Vista version - MCITP: EST or the Windows 7 version - MCITP: ESDT7) is enough.

Good luck with your Associates degree (that would be a Foundation degree in the UK), however a couple of points:

1. CET1526C is selected/ticked twice (linux+)

2. You've slected the following modules:
    CTS1334C Supp Users and Troubleshooting Apps on a MS Windows Desktop (70-622 exam)
    CTS1163C Configuring Windows 7 Client (70-680 exam/MCITP)
    While the college modules are ok, if you will be going for the Microsoft exams, you're covers two exams from different tracks. Maybe better option would be:
    CTS1334C Supp Users and Troubleshooting Apps on a MS Windows Desktop (70-622 exam) and
    CTS1162 Configuring Windows Vista Client (70-620 exam/MCTS)

Both those exams would lead (if you pass the MS exams) the MCITP: EST

3. CTS2345C Windows Server 2008 Active Directory (70-640 exam) is selected twice

Also one thing to point out, starting on the 1st of Jan the Comptia A+, Network+ and Security+ have to be maintained/renewed every 3 years, the same goes for Cisco certs. Depending on when you sit the exams, you may find that the certs need to be renewed by the time you finish your college program. If you decide to wait until after the college program to sit the exams, you may find that the certification program has been refreshed and covers newer technology/objectives.

I don't say this to put you off, but to inform you :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I disagree. It's not a general overview, it concentrates on differences between Vista and Windows 7, especially those features introduced in Server 2008 R2 which are only available in the Enterprise/Ultimate versions. For a general overview of Windows 7 the 70-620(Vista Client) is much closer.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  6. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

Yup, A+ N+ and MCDST are enough to get u that edge while applying for an entry level position in IT. MCTS and MCITP stuff comes after u have gained some work experience.

The CTS2345C Windows Server 2008 Active Directory (70-640 exam) would be AD based, and MCDST's or help desk positions do not require server administration certs.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS, Brainbench: XP and Vista [Master]
    WIP: Bachelors:Computer Science