another conflicting question

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Arroryn, May 9, 2005.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

It seems I'm mainly getting you guys to help clear up discrepancies between my existing knowledge and my damned course book.

With MAU's on a token ring network, I had always been under the impression you were able to have up to 33 MAU's on one network without issues. My course book is trying to tell me 12, maximum. Which is correct, as I've found references for both (though I'm inclined towards 33, which was indicated by Sybex)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. Arroryn

for those that didn't know, or pointed at the thread and chanted *ha ha, she's a dunce*, here's the answer to my own question. This wasn't pointed out in my course documentation, and I have scathed at the tutor:

IBM small moveable Token Ring networks allow up to 12 MAU's.

IBM large Token Ring networks, surprise surprise, allow up to 33 MAU's.

3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You don't get many MAU questions here because most people are pretty unfamiliar with Token Ring. TR is still a valid topic for the Network+ exam so you do need to know it. Glad you got it sorted yourself. Good job. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

owie!
    which course is still teaching token ring? I think even the CCIE dropped it over a year ago hehe (the CCIE is a slow evolving beast compared to say, the CCNA)
    i could be wrong though

you will probably want to use the '33' in an instance where 33 and 12 are options
    as thats a token ring network, a small movable token ring network is slightly different

Ooo during my research, apparantly token ring has been proposed for 100 and 1gbps which have gone before the 802 commitee
    looks like we may see a ressurection in this wonderful tech (very good for certian environments)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. Arroryn

I'm doing the Scheidegger course, which then wouldn't surprise a lot of people about the dating of the info. But I referenced it to a few different texts, including Sybex, so I wasn't that worried in the end.