Annoying LAN problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by simongrahamuk, Apr 23, 2009.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Looking for suggestions here please guy's.

I have a staff members laptop that will not connect to the network when running XP in normal mode. The LAN connection says that the cable is disconnected, when I can clearly see that its not, and the Wireless will only see limited connectivity despite having full signal strength.

If I restart the laptop in safe mode all of the network connections work fine.

I have ran MSConfig and changed startup options, services, etc, but each time I run windows in normal mode I get the same problems.

Also ran a full virus scan, anti spyware, etc.

Any suggestions I've ran out of idea's! :rolleyes:

2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Try reinstalling the TCP/IP stack?

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

how many different spyware removal tools did you use? i usually find i need to go through a few before i find one which actually removes it. combofix and SUPERantispyware etc.

system restore back to a date it was working?

back up data and re-install is sometimes quicker and will give you the best results.

good luck

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Are there any third party utilities managing the NIC (such as power management) as this is fairly common with laptops.

If so it might be worth reinstalling it or even uninstalling and just using the driver for the NIC.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

agree with the tcip/ip stack also re-install drivers for network card

6. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I agree with your agreement :biggrin

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

If that doesn't work, how about a Windows repair? Long winded I know, but it normally fixes alot of issues :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

If it's only the one laptop, you could always go hardcore and do a clean install, that'd sort it :p

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  9. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

No, Hard core would be to install Linux on there!

10. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I was trying to avoid putting a new image on the laptop as it had loads of specific software on it that aren't on the standard image for the laptop model.

System Restore wasn't an option as it is disabled.

I ran Spybot S+D as a second spyware scanner and it found 1 problem, removed it and it sprung back into life again! All Fixed!

Phew, one happy teacher, and I managed to look like I knew what I was doing in the process! Not bad for the 'Supply' Network Manager! :biggrin