And so the journey begins...

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by GiddyG, Dec 27, 2009.

1. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Got my CCENT Cisco Press boook and my CCENT Sybex book and I have started on the road to CCENT.

In the process of reading through the Wendell Odom book at the moment; if I'd have known about this when studying for Net+ it would have made things so much clearer, I reckon.

I am also going to get me some hardware - thanks Joe and Craigie for your advice here.

I am also going to pick up a lab simulator. The 'usual suspects' appear to be Cisco Press and Boson. I can't get the Cisco Packet Tracer because I have no intention of signing up for the Cisco Network Academy, and the GNS3 software is out because I don't have an IOS licence.

Anyway, onwards and upwards... not going to rush this. Having said that, already through Chapter 4 of the Odom book, and thoroughly enjoying it.

2. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Good luck John

It's worth every moment of study. Networking is like crack, very more-ish!! :p

Joe

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Get balls deep mate!

Good luck with the studying :D

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Good luck with that :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Currenlty going over the start of my CCENT book myself (well not for the past week or the next), really interesting isn't it. Good luck mate

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. GiddyG

Thanks guys! Yes, networking is the dog's dooh-dahs... 8) At least the CWNA studies will stand me in good stead for the WLAN chapter. :D

And JK, yup it really is. Never realised that, under the OSI, Segements, Packets and Frames are known as PDUs. How embarrasing. :oops: Best of luck with your studying too... I'm having to hide my book in a dirty mag so the missus doesn't realise what I'm reading. :twisted:

7. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Ha ha its terrible isn't it mate :lol: I hide my books in FHM in work in a futile effort to hang onto my last shred of coolness :cry: :)

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  8. GiddyG

Update: Through Chapter 5 now... slowing down a little bit; however, the subnetting studies are going really well (famous last words!). I am getting quicker, and the only issue (LMAO) is, although I can work out from a mask of, say, /19 that it's in the third octet and that the block size is (24-19) 2^5=32 I still stupidly look at the fourth octet from time to time instead of working through the third octet. Oh well... at least the maths are looking good. :)

9. rich1234

rich1234 New Member

Hi Giddy

I did the CCENT in '07, not long after it first came out. Don't know if it's changed much, but I remember it being quite heavy on subnetting questions. Although I would now need to recap subnetting, it just clicks in your mind when you 'get it'.

IMO hardware is a must, there is nothing like having hands on experience of real routers and cables. When things go wrong and you have to fix it, you learn from it, and also you can just pull a cable out and see what happens. I wouldn't think anything too over the top is needed, I used a couple of 2500 series routers. I too also used the Wendell Odom book, very well written.

I'm now thinking of finishing up with the ICND2 for the full CCNA, I've been going down the MS route for a while as my IT career has started in desktop support, but would like to get my CCNA before the CCENT expires in November.

Rich

Certifications: CCENT, MCDST, MCITP EST
    WIP: CCNA, MCSA
  10. GiddyG

Hi Rich.

I did some more testing on subnets this morning and I didn't get one wrong, so I'm quietly happy. Repetition is the key there, as it also increases speed. You're right... it does click.

I'm looking forward to working with the hardware... :)

If I'm successful with the ICND1 my intention is to roll on straight into the ICND2. Best of luck with your studies!

John

11. rich1234

rich1234 New Member

Thanks John

Sounds like you've cracked that part of it then. Good luck with the exam when you do it.

Just started looking at the icnd2 book again, talking about VLANS :eek:

Rich

12. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Not sure if you have seen this John, but this is my CCENT Study Guide linky

It shows all of my labs, as I slowly increased my skill level.

It also has some links to subnetting questions to make sure your fingers are on the pulse when you go for the exam.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  13. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

some of these cisco exams are written arnt they?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
    Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  14. rich1234

rich1234 New Member

Not sure, the CCENT was a multiple choice and simulated command line type stuff. I'm expecting the ICND2 to be much the same.

15. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

apparently Its the CCIE and CCDE that are written, hence they cost a liitle more

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  16. GiddyG

Fantastic!

Thanks Craig. :)

17. GiddyG

Well, just spent $97 on the Cisco Press Network Simulator for CCNA (includes ICND1 and ICND2). It appears to be very good for the money, with 250 labs in total. Should have been $130-ish marked down to $105, but I got a further discount. Nice!

So, the sim, Craig's notes and hardware... plus my Sybex and Cisco Press study guides should stand me in good stead. 8)

Happy days!

18. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Sounds like your getting 'balls deep' mate!

I think it's awesome when learning is fun 8)

19. GiddyG

Very true indeed! :D

How's your studying for the 236 going by the way?

20. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Great thanks mate, just started Chapter 10 of 13.

Finding some of it really easy, as I use Exchange 2007 in a multitude of environments and other parts quite hard going an example of which is Exchange Management Shell.

I know what is in the GUI and therefore, don't think I would ever use the commands to Filter Queues or Find Messages, so I try and learn the bits I have to on these subjects in case there are any exam questions.

Overall, I think that Exchange Management Shell is pretty awesome.