...and I'd only taken the shutters down the other day.

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by delorean, Nov 5, 2008.

1. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Looks like tomorrow I'm going to have to put up the hurricane shutters again. A nice, juicy Category 2 or 3 hurricane is headed our way! Argh! and only 20 days of hurricane season left to go too!

I have tickets to see Cayman Islands vs Jamaica (John Barnes' first game in charge of Jamaica too!) on Sunday, looks like that will get cancelled now! It's been crappy weather all week so far, lots more crappy weather to look forward to at the weekend! Sketch!

[​IMG]

Full info.

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

My heart bleeds for ya.

Its punishment for the weather you get the rest of the year!

Seriously man - batten down the hatches - Bona Sort!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

...after 4 days of constant rain I forgot we had +30c and sunshine the other 361 days of the year! :biggrin

In seriousness though, I shall see if the rain stops long enough to put the metal shutters back up tonight. Hopefully when it hits we'll be looking at a Category 1 or just a storm. Fingers crossed...

4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Make sure you and yours are safe my friend.

We'll see you on the other side. :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

It's never all that exciting as far as the weather goes in my little corner of the world. Stay safe. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

take care dude:)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Take care!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  8. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Thanks all! Just been checking the progress and as expected it's still due to hit on Saturday. Not sure what I'm more gutted about, having to put up the shutters again or missing seeing John Barnes' first game in charge!

I hate these hurricanes, last time with Gustav it was such a pain as we had to go round all our clients and move all their stuff so if offices flood their gear will be safe. That was easy, having to go back to work and put it all back together when everyone wants to be working at the same time is bleh!

9. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

I would'nt be to upset about missing John Barnes, He was a great player but not so good in the management department, Keep your head down and hopefully it will miss.

WIP: C++ and A+
  10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I've never been through a hurricane, so I guess I can't talk (though I've been through plenty of earthquakes), but I guess my response would be that "it could be worse". I'm thinking about Katrina and Ike specifically. A friend of mine is Houston is still trying to figure out how to get a roof back on his house and keep the walls from falling in.

Good luck and many prayers that you and everyone else will be safe.

11. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Aye, I remember he didn't have a successful spell at Celtic either. Regardless he's a bit of a ledge so I'm going to do my best to get a photo with him and an autograph!*

Thanks Tripwire for the kind words. Thankfully we didn't get much of Ike here and Gustav was an anti-climax. We've been advised to put up shutters and buy provisions though as this time it's due to pack a lot more punch than Gustav did. I just feel sorry for the poor folks in Cuba who've had to deal with about 750,000 hurricanes this year.

The best part about this storm (if you can say there is one) is that it's moving fast and that it's due to hit Cayman during the night; I've been told you could have a thermo-nuclear war going off outside the bedroom window and I still wouldn't wake up, so that bodes well then for me to sleep right through it and assess the damage in the morning!

*assuming the game is still on on Sunday, which I highly doubt now.

12. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

Mor bad news hes not very photogenic either LOL:)

13. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

I guess it's official now. From the latest 10am EST advisory from NHC USA:

Code:
    WTNT32 KNHC 061434
    TCPAT2
    BULLETIN
    TROPICAL STORM PALOMA ADVISORY NUMBER   4
    NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL   AL172008
    1000 AM EST THU NOV 06 2008

...PALOMA STRENGTHENING...

AT 10 AM EST...1500 UTC...THE GOVERNMENT OF THE CAYMAN ISLANDS HAS
    ISSUED A HURRICANE WATCH FOR THE CAYMAN ISLANDS. A HURRICANE WATCH
    MEANS THAT HURRICANE CONDITIONS ARE POSSIBLE WITHIN THE WATCH
    AREA...GENERALLY WITHIN 36 HOURS.
    More info here.

14. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

if I was you I would go put the shutters up now, stop typying put shutters up then back to typing, you can keep us up dated.

15. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Went home at lunch and put the shutters up. Just found out it's looking to pass 7miles away from Grand Cayman as a Category 2 or 3 storm. Not good. Tomorrow is going to be bags of fun. Not.

Latest NHC USA advisory at 4pm EST:

Code:
    WTNT32 KNHC 062035
    TCPAT2
    BULLETIN
    TROPICAL STORM PALOMA ADVISORY NUMBER   5
    NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL   AL172008
    400 PM EST THU NOV 06 2008

...PALOMA STILL STRENGTHENING...

AT 4 PM EST...2100 UTC...THE GOVERNMENT OF THE CAYMAN ISLANDS HAS
    ISSUED A HURRICANE WARNING FOR THE CAYMAN ISLANDS. A HURRICANE
    WARNING MEANS THAT HURRICANE CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED WITHIN THE
    WARNING AREA WITHIN THE NEXT 24 HOURS. PREPARATIONS TO PROTECT LIFE
    AND PROPERTY SHOULD BE RUSHED TO COMPLETION.
    The wind is already starting to pick up...we've been invited to a hurricane party at a friends house so at least it will make the time pass better!

16. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Small update from me now as I am heading to bed early, got a call from work, we're starting super early tomorrow as the island will be closing down at 12pm EST so a lot to get through making sure everything is safely packed away (thank God Monday is a national holiday!). It looks likely a curfew will be in place by 3pm EST possibly earlier as we are due to feel Tropical Storm force winds by 11am EST tomorrow so work will be a race against the clock.

Tonight has been manic; lashing rain, the traffic was crazy, supermarkets are even wilder than when Gustav was coming. Word round the island is (and I've spoken to some seasoned hurrican veterans about this) that Paloma is going to pack quite a punch, even as a category 2 (possibly 3) hurricane. The reason is because nearly all the models predict a direct hit on Grand Cayman, at best it's due to pass 7 miles to the west of the island (great, I live on the west coast!). This means we'll feel even more of an impact the closer it is.

Fingers crossed we'll see this one through with no damage, it definitely looks more worrying than Gustav. Probably won't be able to update this again until after the storm unless I get a chance some time tomorrow afternoon. I'll see if I can get photos or video too although we are supposed to pack the worst of the punch during the night, at which point I intend to be drunk (buying a case of THIS on my rounds tomorrow from the liquor store!) and/or comatose so I doubt i'll remember to video it!

So long and see you on the other side, if not sooner if I can!

p.s: It's made the BBC website it seems.

17. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

UPDATE:

Well it's officially a Category 3 major hurricane which is a bit more than was predicted/expected. Currently we have sustained winds of 115mph. So far I have to praise the CUC and C&W for keeping electricity and internet running at this time.

The wind is actually unbelievable. It's like a howling sound running through the apartment. We are right next to the beach and just before it got dark we could see major surf outside. Police curfew (that extends beyond this mornings curfew) is now in effect. We've locked ourselves in and cannot see out now as it is too dark and too dangerous to go outside.

Reports say this hurricane is due to strengthen even more and it is running very slow to get here. The eye is due to arrive in another 5 or so hours so we are nowhere near out of the woods yet.

Right now we are really worried about our home being flooded when we get back tomorrow night. Hopefully we will be ok, we'll say a prayer for that one though as we heard our area was evacuated this morning and is apparently flooded right now as it is right next to the sea.

Not much more to report other than we are keeping spirits up (or down, if you look at it from a booze point of view!). Not really witnessed weather quite like this before. Let's hope it passes quickly and with no major damage caused.

See you on the other side gang! :eyecrazy

18. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

My God be with you and everyone in the storm's path.

19. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Are you ok? :blink

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE