AMD ready to roll with Shanghai

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

AMD ready to roll with Shanghai

AMD says it will not repeat the mistakes made in its Barcelona rollout, as it prepares to launch its next generation server chip, dubbed "Shanghai".

The rollout of Barcelona was dogged with manufacturing delays and bugs that ultimately held it up by a staggering eight months.

It was a costly and embarrassing setback for the company which knocked around 40% off its share value, and allowed Intel to gain impetus in the lucrative server market. However, the company says it has now learned from the mistakes of the past.

"We had some mis-starts in getting Barcelona to market and wanted to bring as much velocity to Shanghai as possible," Pat Patla, general manager of AMD's server and workstation chip business tells Cnet. "Learn from our mistakes and, as a company, never do that again."

Read the whole story here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments