AMD Processors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zimbo, Aug 20, 2006.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Im still looking around for a laptop and I want an opinion because my knowledge of AMD processors isnt as good as that of the Intel range.

Mobile AMD Sempron Processor 3100+

I know in the past AMD processors do overheat and as an IT techie in Cyprus we tell customers Intel will last longer in this place and perform better - since the UK that isnt an issue how does the Sempron rate overall?

3100+ apparently is 1.8Ghz and the laptop in question will have 512mb ram @ DDR 333....

I tried doing homework on the AMD site but they pretty confusing so any hardware guru care to help?:rolleyes:

Thanks!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I will say this zimbo, AMD are by far the best CPU makers in the market right now. Ok they may not have the might of Intel, but one thing you can be sure of with AMD is that their CPUs run at the speed they say they do. The laptop ur talking about looks good but I would ask how much will it cost? is ther anyway u can get RAM at DDR400 instead of 333? Also I found this it gives u basic comparison among other AMD mobile CPUs and if u want to check the benchmark tests, here is your best bet. Hope this helps sorry I couldn't be anymore thorough. But seriously mate u cant go wrong with AMD at this moment in time. :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

thanks noel... this is the laptop in question....

4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well it looks good...am sure it will do what you want it to do...I take its nothing fancy...just ur basic plain old laptop for basic use?

5. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

That notebook uses system ram for video so 128 megs of your system ram is taken. It also does not use an actual Sound Blaster card, to the best of my knowledge. So, I don't know if when you put Linux on that machine if you will ever get sound working.

If I was you I would call and get a definite yes or no about the sound hardware itself, but be sure you get somone very knowledgeable. From what I've read on other forums HP customer service either hasn't been real honest about this with other people, or their own employees are confused on this issue. I read a thread on sharkyforums.com where someone was really torqued because he had asked this specifically about one of HP's laptops which had sound hardware specs advertised the same way as this laptop does and never found out the truth until after he actually bought the laptop.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

@noel - yeah basic stuff no gaming... the most it would do its the one VMWare possibly SBS 2003 and linux..

@Freddy - i saw that video ram but i dont think it would be a problem right now... The sound problem in linux isnt a problem as i would run linux as a VM... need to keep it as windows as ill have to do some programming on the .net platform at university and wine doesnt support it all that well...

7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

then I would say go for it mate if u know exactly what ur going to use it for...

8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

freddy brought up a interesting point actually.... 512mb is that enough with graphics hogging 128mb?

9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Not bad, can you get an upgrade to XP Pro? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. ffreeloader

I don't think so. That's why I pointed it out.

11. ffreeloader

Ummm... Have you looked at Mono?

12. phonics3k

phonics3k Nibble Poster

well if you wanna use Linux and .Net then your best bet is Mono :D

Plus if you did put Linux on there, you would be able to get the sound working, infact it would just work with the newest kernels :D

Certifications: None As Yet
    WIP: MCTS: 70-536 & 70-526
  13. ffreeloader

When you say, "newest kernels", just what version or above are you referring to? The sound on my HP laptop worked out the box but it's an ATI generic AC '97 type sound device that's been supported for some time. I was running one of the latest kernels though too, 2.6.15. It might very well not have if I would have installed Sarge (2.6. 8 had to insert a space to keep the site from displaying a smiley) instead of Sid.

14. phonics3k

phonics3k Nibble Poster

any 2.6 kernel is reported to be working. If you use the old 2.4 kernel then the ALSA drivers will get it working :D

Certifications: None As Yet
    WIP: MCTS: 70-536 & 70-526
  15. ffreeloader

That's good news. I don't keep up on what all has been included in the kernels so thanks for the update. I know ALSA is pretty good as it has recognized all the sound cards I've used, but some of these software sound systems on laptops I wasn't too sure of.

16. ChrisH

ChrisH Nibble Poster

WIP: A+