Am I wasting my time

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by greenbrucelee, Nov 13, 2007.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Jobs in IT come around very rarley where I live and when they do there seems to be someone more suitable than me it seems.

As some of you know I am in debt untill the end of March so this rules out moving to a different area and also probably for a while after that untill I have some money behind me to cover living costs etc.

Am I wasting my time applying for jobs in the area I live? or should I put off the idea untill I know I can move to an area where there is my scope and more IT jobs around.

My current job is starting to annoy me and there may be redundancies shortly, so I would like to get out ASAP, I have applied for a job (IT Trainee Tech Admin) but have not heard anything back yet, the closing date was last Friday and put my application in the week before when the job was adverstised in the paper.

Things are starting to get me down, what should I do?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I would keep your options open. Perhaps you will be offered a job that makes your move worth while.

Also, you mention redundancy. Should this affect you, will you be entitled to anything? You would be in a better position as far as benefits are concerned and even help with finding a job.

Good luck

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Chin up old boy!

If you get a job now, surely you wouldn't need to move?

I'd keep applying if I was you, I live in Edinburgh and when I was looking for jobs I was noticing most of them were located in Glasgow/Greenock areas but I've managed to find one near me.

Somewhere out there, there's a job just waiting for you ;)

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I know what your going through mate, it was a f**king nightmare for me to get a job when I graduated. I worked as a van driver for a few months to start paying back the uni debt, the job was fun to start with but then it started to get annoying. :cry:

Try to stay positive and perhaps set some goals? For a start having the A+ and N+ on your CV will help and perhaps make you more suitable for an entry level job. I know they are pricey but perhaps you can budget to take the exams in the New Year or something like that.

How are you currently applying for jobs? On-line?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. greenbrucelee

I will get about 6k if made redundant but thats if my company is still matching what you get from the government in redundancies.

The nearest big city to me is Newcastle and thats still 64 miles away and I probably wouldn't be able to that whilst paying of my debts.

Sometimes I wonder wether a career in IT is worth pesruing and maybe I should be looking at something else, also I feel I have an aptitude for it but I am not sure other people do.

6. greenbrucelee

I have just been applying to local places especially when jobs have come up, like I said I can't move yet and the majority of jobs a further away than I can afford to travel.

7. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Here is the way things look. If you have the patience and are in a situation that allows you to wait for a job in IT, it's almost certain that you will get one - but be prepared that you could wait years rather than months or weeks. I would also strongly suggest that you look at other career options in case situations change and maybe no longer chasing IT is the only option. This is the symptom of a field where there are not enough jobs to fulfil the desires of applicants - this gives employers the freedom to be more choosy as to whom they wish to employ.

It's your choice.

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  8. Sparky

Cant give up now mate, chin up! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  9. greenbrucelee

Working in IT is all I have wanted to do since I was about 16.

I thought after finishing uni I would find one pretty quickly but didn't, a year after graduating my debts caught up with me and could no longer afford to live in my own place in Leed and I was also told my current job position was no longer available. I had no option to move back with parents due to my debts I took the first job I could find which was work in a supermarket after 6 months I decided to send out lots of letters to companies in the local area to see if any IT positions were available.

I got a reply from my current employer who said yes we have a position available for you but it wont be ready for about 4 weeks (I assumed someone was leaving the IT dept) the operations manager who interviewed me then said would you consider working in another department untill the IT job is available?

I said Yes thinking its only 4 weeks, that was 7 years ago.

Because of my debts and I was on a steady income I gave up looking for IT jobs and it wasn't untill about a month before I joined CF that I started looking again and becoming interested in more qualifications/certs that may aid me.

I just feel I am fighting a lossing battle.

10. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

In my opinion, perhaps having a look at your CV and/or your interview skills might be worthwhile? You do know what you're talking about and I think potential employers are discarding you without realising what exactly they're throwing away..

Just a thought :D

11. Sparky

Some of the guys I graduated with didn’t end up getting a job in IT. They had the ability to get an IT job but they all jumped into jobs that tried to train them up as managers as quickly as possible. Basically if you had a degree and could talk there was plenty of jobs to go for. They were all advertised as “Trainee Manager” blah blah!

At the time I just kept driving the van, picking up a wage packet at the end of the week, and looked for a full time IT job. My mates were getting better pay than me but I knew if I went for a job they had I would end up being settled and I would let the IT dream fade away. Eventually I got a break so it’s all good, some of my mates regret not chasing an IT job when they graduated and some say their jobs are fantastic. I think they are talking crap. :biggrin

You still can make the jump into IT, forget what has happened at your current place of work in regard to the IT position they promised you years ago. That was probably BS just to get you in the door. Keep sending out the CVs and eventually you will get a break. 8)

12. greenbrucelee

Thanks for the encouragement people :D

13. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

That's what we're here for really ;)

I had a downer last month too and now I couldn't be happier... Well, I could win the lottery, s'pose that would make me happier... You know what I mean!

Chin Chin :D

14. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

GBL,

I agree with what's been said above. I think that no matter how tough the times may get, you always have a chance at getting that IT job you always wanted. It might take more time, more studying, dedication, patience, etc but in the end it is achievable. Also I see you always helping out people on this forum, that in some ways show your work ethics, you are will to help others. It's a great quality to have.

Remember an employer rather higher someone who is a little bit less knowledgeable and has a great personality and is willing to put the efforts to learn over someone who is more knowledgeable and has an attitude problem. Just because someone might be more knowledgeable in IT it doesn't mean they are going to get the job. "I was told this by my employer" and our IT team is very knowledgeable and well developed.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  15. greenbrucelee

Cheers mate I just think I am unlucky or soemthing.

16. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

GBL,

I started my IT training back in 2002. I got my certs, had my lab, and worked at learning 80+ hours a week after working for a web based company that went bankrupt a little more than a year after I started there. I did that until about a year and half ago. After that I've slowed down on studying because my health wouldn't allow me to put in 80+ hours a week. I have interviewed a lot of times in a lot of places during all that time. My first "break" turned out to be major downer. Someone just wanted to use me to screw over someone else. After that it took about another 11 months to get my foot back in the door someplace. It took another 6+ months of a 250 mile round trip commute to get an offer, and during that entire time I gave away my labor. I interned for free.....

I'm now self-employed consulting for the place I interned at for so many months while driving back a forth. I'm getting great exposure to a lot of technologies that I'd never get near as a newbie in a large enterprise. I'm still not making a lot of money, but the skills I'm gaining every day will be opening up other doors soon. I'm just not looking anywhere else right now. When I do it will be for opportunities similar to what I'm doing right now. I'm just going to consult for web based small businesses. With my one steady client I have the basis from which to build a solid business as I know I'll have a steady cash flow. With my own business I'll get to work at my own pace, work when I want to, and do the kinds of work I want to.

It's taken me more than 5 years to get my foot in the door. Yeah, I have some physical disabilities and health problems that have really slowed my progress in getting a job, but I made it.

I guess it all boils down to how bad you want it, and what you're willing to do to make the change. If an old guy like me that's crippled up and has health problems can make it, so can any young buck in good health and with all the energy of youth. It just depends on how badly you want it, how hard you're willing to work to make it, and how much you're willing to sacrifice in the present for future rewards. I busted my buns for 5 years, and put in as many hours as if I'd worked a 40 hour a week job, and then studied for 40 hours a week.

I think you just need to ask yourself what you're willing to sacrifice to make your dream come true. If it isn't all that much, you don't really want IT all that badly.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  17. greenbrucelee

It is the only thing I want to do as my career but I always feel I am fighting against the odds.

When I was in my teens I happened to read a social services report about myself whilst the social workers were talking to my foster parents in another room.

In the report it said that Social services did not expect me to be able to handle mainstream schooling and that I shoud be in a special school, that made me determined to prove them wrong and my foster mother also disagreed with them and encouraged me to do well which I did ok.

The report also said that my foster parents should not even contemplate letting me go to college or University so that made me determined to prove them wrong and I did both.

The report also said that I would probably never get a job and would end up having to live on state benefits and get help with living, I have prove them wrong on thus far but not doing what I want.

This report was based on my biological father stamping on my head when I was 16 months old and because of this I have a very slight motor function problem with the left side of my body but not that you would notice it too much.

I am just a bit sick of fighting to prove myself all the time and am always aware of what this report said and what could be said if I failed.

18. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If it weren't a career in IT... what would you do? Get a career in _________, and STILL have a problem because you're in a small town?

The problem isn't your choice of career... it's your choice of location.

That said, IT jobs exist EVERYWHERE, regardless of city size... whether it be as a neighborhood PC tech, or as the only IT guy for a small business. Keep your chin up, keep applying, and if something turns up, then great! And if something doesn't, then move if/when your situation permits.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  19. BosonMichael

Yep... they might have made more, initially... but in IT, given a bit of time, you'll have the potential to do *quite* well... whereas there's usually a ceiling to what a store manager will be paid.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  20. BosonMichael

Don't be a victim or a statistic. Don't let a report summary define you. YOU make you who you are. YOU define you. Be a winner, and project that attitude.

If you tell yourself you can't do it, or it's too hard, or the odds are too small... then you won't be able to. Don't defeat *yourself*.

Come on, now... I know you're intelligent. I see it in your posts. You CAN do it.