Am i taking the right path

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by jmr2910, May 27, 2008.

1. jmr2910

jmr2910 New Member

Hi everyone, im studying for the A+ cert ( essentials and 220-602) ive only just started and im studying from the proprofs and professormesser websites i also have 2 books CompTIA A+ cert all in one for dummies and A+ Cert. all in one exam guide 6th edition. I have used computers for years but only basic stuff, Designing Flyers, Internet, E-mail etc. I do have a Computer ready to dismantle and play with but i dont know if im taking the best route, are those site and those books enough to get me through the exam? There are so many salesmen trying to sell me material my brain is frying. For example if anyone can recommend a reputable company to buy study material along with back up support that would be appreciated. I wish to take the compTIA A+ N+ and then the Cisco CCNA, a company called E-careers.co.uk has offered me all of those exams plus study material for £585 but with only 12 months support, is that a realistic time frame to do all of those exams in 12 months? Computeach offered all those exams over 3 years support with 13 days in house training for just under £6000. If i do it this way, from the sites i've mentioned and this site and with study books im not on a pressure timer but by the time i pay for the exams total cost for all of them £450 approx: (with vouchers) i start to wonder how E-careers make there money. I await any helpful advice before my brains explodes.
    :oops:

2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF:), and well done for choosing the self study route as this is a wise thing to do as well as would save you valuable hard earned £££'s.

Do not believe the hyped up sales people and get yourself the Mike Myers book all in one and with your computer to dismantle you're set to go. I would also recommend you go through the A+ section on this forum and use the search button and type in A+ self study, recommended books etc.

Cheerio and best wishes with your study:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

A+, N+ but not ccna unless you are working with cisco hubs etc.

The books you have are good enough you probably don't need anything else. You do not need to do a course to do the exams. You book your exams (2 for the A+) through pearsonvue on their website, you will find you nearest test centre on that site.

You can pay pearsonvue directly or by discount vouchers from www.gracetechsolutions.com you buy two of them and when you book your essentials exam you use the essentials voucher and the same for the next exam.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

As people have said you sound pretty well equipped, im using the mike meyers 6th edition book, i think the only other thing you might like to consider is the PC Technicians Street Smarts book by James Pyles as that would compliment your waiting test pc very nicely, its available on amazon at a very fair price.
    It basically has step by step instructions on carrying out various tasks which you are expected to be familiar with for A+, its not essential because you can learn them from the book, but if they're tasks you dont know then you will learn them a lot better doing them yourself

WIP: A+
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Psst... GBL... routers and switches... not hubs. :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. greenbrucelee

you know what I mean, thats why I am not experienced enough to do CCNA heh heh :D

8. BosonMichael

I know what you mean... but the thousands of people who silently read your post may not. :wink:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  9. jmr2910

jmr2910 New Member

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply, you have enhanced my confidence. Being 40, the difficult bit may well be getting my foot in the door and getting a job in IT

10. greenbrucelee

age has nothing to do with there are people on here who have just gotten their first IT jobs and are older than you. If you are right for the job you will get it.

11. BosonMichael

That's the difficult part for everyone, regardless of age. :) Getting the second IT job is usually much easier. :)

12. videoman

videoman Bit Poster

Wish I was forty again as closer to fifty now unfortunately so I don't think I have much chance of my first job in IT now.

Certifications: ECDL
  13. BosonMichael

Why do you say that? I know someone locally who started at your age, and he's doing quite well in his fifties.

I don't care how old you are, what skin color you are, what gender you are, how fat you are, or what religion you practice... if you can do the job, I want you on my team.

14. videoman

videoman Bit Poster

Hi BosunMichael, Thanks for the kind comments as it is a boost to your confidence when someone with your knowledge and experience offers advice.

15. BosonMichael

It's my pleasure to advise.

I've been in IT a little over 10 years... so in 10 years, it's possible to have the same amount of experience as I have now... and you'll STILL have many years left to offer before retirement.

16. videoman

videoman Bit Poster

Unfortunately as I grow older I find it more difficult to learn new things and I am now finding it takes far longer for things to sink in. Never used to have a problem in my younger days as I am/was a mechanical engineer by trade.

17. BosonMichael

Unfortunately, I can't relate - I'm only 38. I can only hope and pray that never happens to me.

Perhaps it's not that you can't learn new things... perhaps you just need a solid foundation to build upon. For example, Windows Server 2008 is quite difficult to study if you go into it from scratch without any prior learning... but Server 2008 is MUCH easier to study after having studied for the A+, Network+, MCDST, XP/Vista, and Windows Server 2003 certifications... AND after having worked with Server 2008 in real life. Once you get the foundation built, you can easily set something new on top of that... because it's not ALL new to you!