Am I still certified?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by scarletsfever, Apr 7, 2010.

1. scarletsfever

scarletsfever New Member

Hi,

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but I took some Microsoft courses quite a few years ago (no more than 10!). I can't really remember what they were called, I think it was deploying windows 2000 something...

I was wondering if there is any way I can find out what these courses were and whether they still count to anything? I was a bit younger when I did these and quite happy in my job and didn't bother with updating my CV for them or anything.

Would just be good to know!

Thanks

Ian

WIP: MCDST, A+
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

If you took only the courses, then that is only good for knowledge (and experience if you worked with it). You're only certified if you took and passed the exams (at that time it would have been thru either a Prometric Testing centre or a Pearson Vue testing centre).

No mention of taking and passing the exams...

If you did take and pass the exams, then you will still be certified. Retirement of MS certs currently only applies to the MCTS and the MCITP range of certs, not to the MCP/MCSA/MCSE range.

-Ken

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. scarletsfever

scarletsfever New Member

Thanks,

I have just managed to find an old CV and I did actually put them on there. They were:

Pre-installing and Deploying Microsoft Windows 2000
    Installing and Configuring Windows 2000 File, Print and Web Server

I am pretty sure now they are just courses, can't remember taking an exam for them. :rolleyes:

Oh well, good to know what I did do in the past...

WIP: MCDST, A+
  4. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

I thought the recert thing on the mcts and mcitp was changed and now only applies to when the product support seizes. Not questioning you though wagnerk, as you'll know a lot more about it than me, I just must have missed something

5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

The point that Ken was making was that you are only 'certified' if you have taken the relevant exam.

You are correct though, certifications in the new scheme last as long as the product lifespan.
    If the OP didn't take any exams, he was never certified in the first place.

You could always phone the MS RSC and see if they can dig up a profile on you, if you can't remember what you've got.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD