Am I screwed for the future?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by thomas130, Nov 28, 2009.

1. thomas130

thomas130 New Member

Back in late September I lost my job as a support analyst at my work place where I did first line support and on occasion second line support. I have managed to find a part time help desk technician position however I hate it and all I do is answer the phone. At the moment I don’t have certs however I am due to sit my CCNA exam in September and get my MCSE done as quick as I can next year.

So sometime mid next year I going to look for another job as I know employers are not interested at the moment as they can get people with MCSE for 19k etc. However I worried when I got all this next year there not going to be interested because of only working part-time and I don’t get to do as much technical stuff as I did.
    Any advice on what I should do

Also at the moment I currently studying for my degree as well and completed my HNC in May.

2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Well my first advice to you would be to forget about the MCSE, and forget about comparing yourself to "companies who get MCSEs for £19K".

Firstly, I wouldn't touch with a bargepole any first line or junior second line role that stipulated the MCSE as a required cert - it's not necessary at that level. MCSEs are techs with years of experience at senior second line and third line roles.

At least you're in part time work, and that for sure is better than no work at all - you're in a better boat than quite a lot of people at the moment. Employers are interested in the right people - sure the market is cutthroat at the minute, I appreciate that, but it sounds like you're using it as a reason to not hunt for jobs. What kind of roles have you tried applying for so far? Can you post up any examples?

Also, what degree are you doing (out of interest)?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. thomas130

thomas130 New Member

I have applied for quite a few jobs but never got an interview apart from the helpdesk job and got it. The roles I am trying to get are ICT Technicians at schools however they are only interested if you work at another school. I'm currently studying for a Open Degree at Open University. Basically I get the chose what modules I want to study which have been Information Technology.

I have applied for a 1st support analyst job at a law firm it’s around 18k – 20k however they are looking for MCSE and Office Master and Itil. They also want you to have good experience in apps they use which are only used in laws firms so I not expecting to hear back from them.

4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

1) it's a tough market - I should know !

2) careful with working in schools - nothing wrong with it (I've applied for many) but it can be difficult to get into and then difficult to get out of so make sure it's really what you want

3) if you do want schools - suggest you also join www.edugeek.net

4) stick it out even if the job you have is not ideal. Plug away at ENTRY level certs (A+, N+ etc) and don't go for stuff that will make you over certified and under experienced

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Law firms are often picky at getting techs that know their way around systems that are common to the industry - DMS, digital dictation systems, practice management software. If you have any experience in those, and a good grounding in customer service, I can't see why you wouldn't get an interview.

I'd be astonished that they wanted an MCSE to do entry level work. Tell me which firm - I'll go and poke fun at them lol.

Any particular reason why you're aiming for work at schools? If you're limiting yourself to a certain industry - and then occasionally having pot-shots at jobs "you don't think you'll get anway" - then it sounds like you are really limiting yourself?

I don't know where you're based, but a 30 second search on Reed came up with this job - there is work out there, you just might need to be more open-minded about what you're looking for?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

We're all screwed at some point in the future mate, it's the only certainty in life.

If a company thinks they can get an MCSE for £19k, then you don't want to work for that company.

Things are tough at the moment, so now may not be the best time to look for a career change.
    You've got a job and you're being paid.
    However much it sucks, it can't suck as bad as getting £45 per week and being unemployed.

Take your time and make sure than when you do change careers it's for the right job.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Here here!

I can't add anything to what the others have said but best of luck and keep your chin up. Something will turn up eventually

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

There's some really sound advice on here! It's going to be hard no doubt.. but what people have replied to you, is the truth...

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  9. jamman32

jamman32 Nibble Poster

Im currently not got any certs, But working towards my A+ then N+,

Currently i work as a delivery driver . not the best job in the world but it gives me time to get my certs,
    and keep an eye on the job market...Will be looking for my first it roll hopefully in the summer 2010.

So all i can say to those who are trying to get that dream job is keep working at it....

Good luck all

Certifications: city & guilds engineering
    WIP: comptia a+ n+/ linux+
  10. Trogdor

Trogdor Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Just bear in mind that many job adverts are compiled by HR people who know little about all of the certifications out there and what skills people with those certifications actually have, so they just put MCSE on the job spec as it is probably the most well-known (and often follow it with CCNA).

Look at it through the eyes of the company doing the hiring - what goes on the job spec is what they view at the "perfect" person. In the case you sited that's a MCSE who is willing to do first line support for £19k / year. After all, they could easily handle any additional tasks the company wants to throw at them and would not need to go on any expensive training courses.

Focus more on the responsibilities of the role. If these are all things you can do, apply for the job. I was job hunting not too long ago and my main advice would be to not limit yourself to the sector or kind of company you would be willing to work in / for and not to say no to yourself before prospective employers get a chance to. Keeping in mind that the job advert describes the "perfect" candidate, use the covering letter to sell your experience, intended certifications you are already working towards (this shows you are dedicated to advancing in the industry and can plan your time well) and soft skills you posses which would make you perfectly suited to the role - MCSE or not.

Again, from the company's point of view, it is much harder to train time-keeping, being well presented, hard-working, punctual etc. than it is to train technical skills so really use the covering letter to get across the reasons you would be the person for the job.

Best of luck with the job search. Keep us updated on your progress and apologies for the long post :oops:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+, MCDST, HP APS Server, HP APS Desktop / Laptop
    WIP: ITIL, CCNA, MCSA, and BSc