Am I ready for the 70-290

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by The_Rocker, Dec 16, 2010.

1. The_Rocker

The_Rocker Bit Poster

This will be the next exam I shoot for.

I think I need to touch up on IIS and Terminal Services but at present I work as 2nd/3rd line IT support and have been in the IT industry for nearly 3 years.

Due to team structure where I work, I do not get loads of exposure to server set up, however I do frequently use the features.. Print servers, DNS, DHCP, AD, GPO's etc...

I have been using server 2003 and XP in my virtual labs for over a year and can confidently set up a multi-domain forest with roaming profiles, GPO's, Print servers, file servers etc...

I have a 70-290 MS text book and the CBT nuggets.

Do you think I am nearly ready?

I have passed 70-270, 271 and 272.

Certifications: BND: ICT | MCDST | MCP
    WIP: MCSA | MCSE
  2. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

You’re in a much better position then me when I gave my exam, I think you’ve got quite a good chance at giving it, as you mentioned about your role giving you a lot of practical experience n the virtual labs and study material sounds good to me. I'd say go for it if you feel confident and ready..
    Good luck with your preparations and the exam :thumbleft

Certifications: Network+ (004), MCP, see signature
    WIP: MCITP & few oths.Cisco aft sum XPri
  3. The_Rocker

The_Rocker Bit Poster

Anyone else want to give me their opnion? 8)

4. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

By the sounds of your post your ready to have a shot.

In my opinion, practical experience is vital for the 290, and it sounds like you have enough there to see you through. What I would suggest is to grab a Transcender or Boson package and try the tests, they'll give you a good indication of whether your ready or not, and where you need to concentrate any future study for the exam.

Lastly, you say you have passed the 270, 271 and 272. Just be aware that the 290 was a big step up from the level of the 3 exams mentioned, so be ready for that when you sit down and click start.

Best of luck! 8)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Give it a go, while I can't say that a pass is guaranteed, it does sound like you have a good shot.

BTW, setting up a multi-domain/forest and different sites ventures into the 70-291 exam.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, go for it mate. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

If you've been doing those things for over a year on a frequent basis, then go for it. Read the 290 book for any missing concepts and try a few practice exams if possible. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  8. The_Rocker

The_Rocker Bit Poster

Cheers guys.

I havn't got a transcender pack or anything so I will spend some time with the MS Readiness Review suite questions.

I have the CBT nuggets for it as well which I am going to use as touch up on my weaker areas.

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sounds to me like you've been doing all the things you need to do to begin pursuit of the MCSA... of which 290 is the first step. As the others have mentioned, it is a bit more difficult than what you've encountered thus far... but it is passable if you know your stuff. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. The_Rocker

The_Rocker Bit Poster

Cheers for the advice. I intend to book the exam for about a month down the line next week which is payday :-)

I am once again running my 2003/XP VM lab.

I do have a question though, how much AD automation scripting seems to be covered in the exams? Dsadd, mod, ldifde etc....?

Thats probably my weaker area.