am i doing this right

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by lynamcool, Oct 27, 2009.

1. lynamcool

lynamcool Bit Poster

hi again everyone :biggrin

Im looking at booking the 271 exam for aroud 3-4 weeks away,

and im also considering reading the ms press 271 book for a 3rd time! (yes the 3rd time lol)

is 2 read's of the book enough or should i read it again as im only considering looking at the 2 weak areas i have (File/folder permissions and TCP/IP)

also what does everyone else do in the run up to their exams when the day gets close?

im just doing the practice parts from the back of the book,practice questions, virtual lab sessions and watching the cbt nugget videos

thanks for any advice beforehand

WIP: MCDST
  2. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

I'll normally find some practice questions and go over them. They can then help identify weaker areas for reading.
    Honestly, I wouldn't read the whole book a 3rd time. I would just go over the area's you know you need to improve on and make notes. Then test yourself again :)

3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I customised the review/exam questions on the CD to give me 50 questions from one domain. Then I did this for all the domains. This gave me a better idea of my weak points than only relying on 9 questions per domain in the certification mode.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. Goraek

Goraek New Member

i recommend the exam cram books as a study guide...
    they are good for preparing your exams... its nice and easy, to the point... hence, u'll be able to go through the book in less than a week.. if u study it full time... :P

hope that helps...

5. gooner1984

gooner1984 New Member

I just passed the 70-271. I just went over a load of tests from Transcender and that helped me figure out what I needed to concentrate on. I wouldn't bother reading the book again, just keep testing yourself. Quite a few of the questions I did in practice came up in the exam which helped. Good luck

6. manyb

manyb Bit Poster

it may help or not but the 272 ms book covers some of the same stuff found in 271 and for me it explained some of it a bit better than in the 271 book.
    like theres one part where it tells you how to work out security permissions in one simple paragraph and i had trouble with that when i was doing the 271.

7. lynamcool

lynamcool Bit Poster

funnily enough i have read the 272 book too even though im gearing up for the 271 exam, I completely forgot to check 272 again for some different explanations

thanks for that manyb, is there anything else you read in the 272 book for the 271 exam?

8. manyb

manyb Bit Poster

i cant remember if its in the 271 but the internet explorer stuff about privacy and security tab in the 272 helped me out, as well as the permissions stuff.

but have a look through and see if some stuff are explained better in the 272. just dont bother with the chapters about office, outlook and other apps.

9. lynamcool

lynamcool Bit Poster

just finished the book "instinct told me read it a third and final time" :biggrin and on the downside i think the book spine is starting to break:rolleyes: so reading the book again will be hard lol

I will be booking my exam for around 3 and a half weeks away but what can i do in that time to keep my mind fresh on what i have read without forgetting anything from the book? as all i will be doing for now is reading notes + using virtual lab and watching cbt for explanations to anything im not sure of?

lol im scared of missing something out

thanks if you can advise me in this stressful/worrying time :biggrin

10. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

It sounds like you are doing everything right in terms of prepartation for the exam. My advice to ensure that you are confident with all topic areas and that you are scoring highly in any of the practice tests you have decided to do.

You mentioned earlier that permissions and tcp/ip were your weak areas, I think these are two very important areas of the MCDST and that it would be wise to use your VM and notes to learn these topics thoroughly.

Good luck with the exam in a few weeks!! :biggrin

11. AndreK

AndreK Bit Poster

Why book the exam 3 weeks away? surely by then you would have forgotten some information, if it's within your means then you should book it asap, good luck.

12. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I would agree. If you think you're ready then go for it ASAP. I normally give myself a couple of weeks final revision but it sounds like you've already been there.
    I've been in the situation where finances have dictated that I wait and it's not a happy place to be. I was completely bored with all the study material and couldn't find the motivation to study.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  13. lynamcool

lynamcool Bit Poster

actually today im starting to feel the motivation slip slightly :blink lol i will have to give it a day or two of using the virtual lab just clicking every menu possible editing settings ect and see where im at i think