Alternative Book Formats?

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by sckoobs, Jan 22, 2009.

1. sckoobs

sckoobs New Member

Hi All,

I'm currently studying for the MCTS exam 70-536 and I was wondering if the books came in any other format than PDF.

I have the hardcopies and the CD that contains the PDFs of the books, however PDF really isn't the most flexible format to be reading online. So I was wondering if anyone knows if the Microsoft books are perhaps available in HTML? The way I see it is I can load that in firefox then blow the text up to make reading easier.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
    Andy

2. mattstevenson

mattstevenson Byte Poster

Thought of zooming in using Adobe Reader/Foxit Reader? That does exactly the same thing...

Certifications: Triple A+. Network+, CCENT
    WIP: MCP, ICND2, Sec+
  3. sckoobs

sckoobs New Member

I'm not aware of any way within Adobe or Foxit Reader to size the text independantly of the Zoom function. The problem with zoom is that I have to scroll left to right to read everything, whereas with a bigger text size I just have more vertical scrolling to do (and there's less words horizontally).

Andy

4. mattstevenson

mattstevenson Byte Poster

Ah, my mistake. *Withdraws comments*.

Certifications: Triple A+. Network+, CCENT
    WIP: MCP, ICND2, Sec+
  5. Ando

Ando Bit Poster

Is the text in the pdf not selectable? Could you copy and paste the text into something like wordpad with wordwrap enabled?

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, Mstr CIW Dsgnr
    WIP: MCSA
  6. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

The text won't be selectable to copy and paste due to the protection on the PDF's. I think the answer is no to the best of my knowledge. They use PDF format as it allows the published to prohibit copying text and to stem illegally distributing the electronic books. Even if you say had Adobe PDF writer it would still not allow you to modify the PDF's.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011