Ah, got you!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Boycie, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Some people might remember that Boyce has tried to pin down an annoying intermittent lock-up for a customer.
    Just before it locked up (the last time :twisted: ) a balloon appeared in the notification area saying "USB root surge". The USB sockets don't feel sloppy and i first suspected that either a USB device was drawing too much power off the mobo or the PSU was not man enough for the job. I thought i had it nailed but it locked up this morning with only a USB mouse plugged in.
    Oh, all the USB sockets are onboard. Anybody else come across this?

Regards

Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. damienj3

damienj3 Byte Poster

I came accross this with an old computer using onboard USB. I cheated and bought an external hub and that sorted it out .

Certifications: mcse
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

We've come across this with a batch of Acer Laptops (they're not in my top 10 anymore :dry ). We ended up having to rebuild the whole laptop (software). Since the rebuild we haven't received anymore of those power surges.

I don't know why or what caused it, so I can't say. And I can't say whether or not the problem that you're experiencing is the same as ours.

But I hope this helps :D

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

thanks for the input guys. im not really sure what to suggest for the best. If it says USB surge with only a USB mouse plugged in then even a powered hub will take some power from the motherboard :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT