Aging (36 yrs old!) newbie, looking for career change...

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by ssiruuk1, Apr 6, 2010.

1. ssiruuk1

ssiruuk1 Bit Poster

Hello all...
    Thought id say hi as ive just joined this forum after accidentally stumbling across it whilst looking to purchase vouchers for the A+ exam.
    Im 36 and have been working as a labourer/painter/decorator for the last 6 yrs, and through being miserable and unfulfilled at work for the last 2 yrs i decided on a career change. Ive been a pretty avid pc gamer ever since the days id software released Doom and have been building, upgrading and networking pc's as a hobby ever since. I have been the unpaid pc tech/repairer of all my mates for years and so it seemed natural to choose IT as my new career path (Im just hoping im not too old now!?).
    I talked to my brother who manages the IT department at a secondary school here in bristol and he suggested i take the comptia A+ exam, so i bought the Mike Myers 220 601, 602 etc book back in december. The reason i bought the 601 book is that i was able to get access to all the 2006 CBT Nuggets A+ videos through my brother (CBT hadnt released their 2009 training videos then), without having to pay for them (lucky me!). So ive slowly been studying the chapters in the book and watching the online training vids, whilst working and helping my misses look after our son who was born only a month ago.
    I finished the book last night so am looking to book up my exams and get the A+ under my belt in the next few weeks, then i guess i will have a look at the N+ as that seems to be the general advise here(?)....Will let you know how it goes :)
    Oh yeah - does anyone know if i can buy vouchers for the 601 and 602 bundled with any practise exams from anywahere? Looking for a way to pay for these exams a bit cheaper than paying the full whack to pearson vue!
    Any advise or tips would be very welcome, just hope i havent left it too late in life :rolleyes:

Certifications: a+
    WIP: network+
  2. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

You can buy vouchers for CompTia exams that make them quite a bit cheaper. I think you need to visit CompTia's website for that... Or do a quick search on this forum. But anyway, yes, they can be had cheaper, the voucher simply needs to be "cashed in" within a certain time period or you lose it.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Just another thought, take a look at my age :wink:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  7. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Welcome fellow Bristolian

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  8. Nick74

Nick74 Bit Poster

I'm 36 this weekend and also looking at a career change, so hopefully there is life in us all yet!

The way I look at it, I cant face staying as I am for the next 25 years, so it doesnt really matter how old I am now, it has just taken me a while to make a decision and now its made its time to get on with things.

I also have a young son (a bit older than yours, congrats btw) and another on the way, and currently run my own business from home, so its busy busy. The only tip I would give is to try and set a regular timetable up for study if you can. I tend to study when im not busy with other things, but with work and a sprog I can always find something else to do. It has taken me ages to get through the A+ materials as I keep stop starting, I will definitely need to be more disciplined on future exams.

I have also completed a C&G at my local college. One night a week which many weeks is a pain in the butt after a long day, but it has been quite enjoyable, and made me focus a bit more. I have picked up a lot of practical experience of some of the things in the books, but also relevant info which isnt in the book (im using the Meyers all in one). If you are ready for your exams then probably not relevant to you for this one, but worth checking local colleges for part time courses in September, they may have something useful and they arent that expensive.

Good luck with it.

Certifications: C&G, A+
  9. ssiruuk1

ssiruuk1 Bit Poster

Thanks for all the "Hi There!" messages, and Nick74 - Its good to know theres someone in the same position as me, taking the plunge at a relatively late stage in the game, and yeah you're right about not wanting to be doing the same thing for the next 25 years so age does become a little irrelevant.
    The only downside will be having to start at the bottom of the ladder and probably take a bit of a salary battering in the process, which isnt that great when you've got new mouths to feed :)
    I totally empathise with you when you say how long it takes to get through the course materials when you've got a job lot of other responsibilities, even more so since the boy was born - my study time has literally vanished since he entered my life - i guess, like you say discipline is the key. Talking of which i should be doing some right now instead of browsing forums.....
    Good luck to you too mate and let me know how you get on with it all.

10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

you can get discount vouchers for the A+ from www.gracetechsolutions.com you don't have to pay VAT and there also a £3 discount so you will save quite a bit of money. Just make sure you buy the international versions otherwise they wont be valid for the UK.

You use the vouchers to pay for the exams on pearsonvues website.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. ssiruuk1

ssiruuk1 Bit Poster

gracetechsolutions.com only do the international vouchers for the 701, 702 etc, i'm looking for vouchers for the 601, 602 which are still valid here in the uk til the end of august i was lead to believe?
    Am i going to have to bite the bullet and pay the full cost from Pearson Vue?

12. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Gracetech are an american site so they may have fallen in line with the 600 series being retired in the states in February but yes you can still take the A+ exams for the 600 series in the UK untill August 31st

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?