Agencies: Your experience with them

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Lozler, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Lozler

Lozler Bit Poster

Just wondering your views on agencies.

For me, i've had calls from agencies that say you'll have your interview on around this date blabla, but then it never happens. Seems impossible to get a job through an agency cause it always falls through. The agencies have often seen my CV on monster etc, and then call me up. I'm thinking I should just apply directly to companies for my first role.

2. Afroninja

Afroninja Bit Poster

I have avoided them in the past due to hearing experiences like yours. The biggest hurdle seems to be finding a good one as opposed to an agency that will send you to any random interview for roles that you simply arent suitable for.

All my jobs have come from direct applications but there arent as many around thesedays so I may have to bite the bullet and try the agency route.

3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

If it's agencies calling you because they've been CV harvesting I'm not surprised. I've never had much hassle with agencies for jobs I've actually applied for. A lot of companies won't deal with you except through an agency.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

totally agree - I've had them calling offering me interviews for posts that I'm nowhere near qualified or experienced for...would of been embarrassing even attempting them.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | 70-680 | 70-685 | MTA Server
    WIP: deciding now...
  5. millsie

millsie Byte Poster

I've had many many agencies ring me, and quite a few interviews from them. The only job I have got recently (which I turned down), was through direct means. However, my very first IT role, that I'm still in now was through an agency, so they are hit and miss. But mainly miss, i agree with the guys above, mostly the scour the net using keyword searches, even if one word matches they will contact you and regardless of whether they think you are suitable will most likely try and put you forward, after all, they will make money out of you if you happen to be successful!
    They are salesman basically, thats what recruitment consultants are and will feed you a lot of false promises, confidence and things like 'you are only one of 2 being interviewed so stand a good chance' etc when in reality they will probably interview a lot more.
    I have been over qualified/underqualifed, too much a lack of experience, or nowhere near enough once at interview stage. I often wonder whether the person interviewing even bothered to read the CV given to them by the agent before interview as surely they can guage whether you have the right experience from that so if you just do not have it then why bother inviting you. This again is probably the agent selling false info to the employer as well as to you, and they will still have to pay the agent if they take the person on!
    Lets face it, a lot of the time the agencies are the only way, at least they get us interviews, or the hope of one! I still hate them though!
    Millsie

Certifications: N+, CCNA, MCDST
    WIP: CCNP route 642-902
  6. jm1

jm1 Bit Poster

I tend to agree with the above i have applied for it jobs with many agencies, i have had call backs from a certain large high street agency a few times who have basically bsed me and asked me aload of questions without reading my cv, i have found them an absolute waste of time and have no idea why employers still use them. Personally All my interviews have come from direct applications.

7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

As with any IT recruitment agencies wisdom in dealing with them is a must as they frankly are doing their job and without it wouldn't get a commission. Although honesty when dealing with applicants would be nice to experienced from agencies.

I personally believe there are some professional honest recruitment agencies out there but are far and few between. As an applicant don't give out names of current or previous employer until you have secured an interview or even second interview.

You'd find out a lot of agencies are just collecting CV's to make them look impressive to their potential clients if they have any. I would also ask for a job spec first before having an in dept questions and answers sessions with a recruitment agent.

If you carry out the above you'd get few fictitious calls from dubious time wasters and agencies. All the best and also look at applying for jobs directly etc.

Lastly, invest in a good interviewing techniques book and keep applying for jobs relentlessly that you're qualified for and confident you meet the job spec requirement.

Ultimately, nothing in life is easy or comes easy unless you were born with a silver spoon:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  8. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Does anyone else here keep email addresses for these recruiters, ready to Bulk Mail them should the need arise?

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  9. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

agencies generally chat **** all the time! they dont care about you gettin a job or furthering your career they just look at you and see pound signs! I have had so many promises from agencies with no joy until recent an agency got me my first contract but even he has lied to me, said there is a chance of going perm when there isnt! they jus ttell you what you wanna hear!

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, 70-680
    WIP: 70-685, ITIL v3 Foundation
  10. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I've had good experiences with agencies but only for non-IT jobs in the past. For IT jobs, I've never had a good experience with any...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security