Advise: National I.T Learning Centre

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by ant2005uk, Dec 22, 2004.

1. ant2005uk

ant2005uk Byte Poster

Hi people I have just signed up here, would like to start by saying I think the site looks very informative and interesting.

Anyway I need some advise. I have been planning on doing an I.T course for some time as I wish to persue a career in this field. However finding the right course and the right training provider has been very hard. I have been very unsure about what would be the best course to do to seek my needs and help me get a decent job. There seems to be so many courses out there I get confused (lol).

I wouldnt mind working as an I.T Support technician or in the Networking field as an entry level position in I.T and I have been trying to find the right course that would qualify me for this sort of role. I feel this kind of work would really interest me. I have a good basic knowledge of computer hardware and good general i.t skills and would like to take things a step further and try to get my foot in the i.t career ladder.

I signed up with computeach but having heard so many bad things about them I have been put off doing a course with them and recently I came accross the National I.T Learning Centre Website.

Having just given them a call they seemed very helpful and provided me with all the info I needed to help me decide on choosing the right course. We had a chat and I decided that im going to do the TSE course (Networking and hardware course) to help me get my first I.T job. It provides training from A+ TO MCSE level.

Now this brings me to my main question - I would like to know if anyone here has ever enrolled on the course and if you know if it is any good. Do they help you find a job towards the end of the course and do they provide good careers advise? What is the course like any good? Sounds like a good course and heard a few good things about the nitlc in the past but need some more opinions first. Many Thanks.

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi ant - firstly wlecome to CF, wht not drop a post in the New Members if your gonna stick around...? :D

I did the TSE with Nitlc, as did more than a few others around here, and I think you'd be pushed to find any complaints. I will say that I thought the initial Sales Rep was overly pushy, but that seems to be a common theme mongst any Provider mentioned here or elsewhere.

Also, I take more than a pinch of salt with regards to claimed guarantees of finding you a job in IT upon completion - if they dont exist, then they cant be created by a Training Company. In this respect, I believe to be realistic, you should expect to join the hard slog the rest of us lucky ones faced when trying to get the first break. I think after that, progression will be easier, but do be prepared to have to put in the effort yourself to begin with (and unfortunately, prepare for some early disappointments),

That said, and on a brighter note - go for it m8 - it is a good course with good tutors and good materials.

Other than that - good luck however you choose to proceed.

My 2€ :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. ant2005uk

ant2005uk Byte Poster

Thanks for the welcome. I wont be doing the tse course until the summer (im going to save up first lol). Im a bit concerned about a couple of things though, eg, will I need any additional software or equipment for my pc? I notice there are units on Win 2003 Server and things like that. Also I have read that the MCSE is for people who already work in the Networking industry. Did you complete the whole course? even the MCSE and MCSA sections mate?

4. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

hi ant2005uk, welcome to the Forums.

It's hard to say if you will need extra equipment and software for you PC at this stage, we don't really know what you are running. There are many different way's of doing the MCSE, and if you are with a trainning provider, the should have a classroom lab set-up that you can mess around with.

I am doing my MCSE at the moment, self study. I have got myself a copy of VMWare (Virtual Machine), which enable me to run a small network virtually, on one machine. At the moment, I have 2 Win2K3 Servers, and 2XP pro clients working in VMware. This seems to do the trick for me, although I will be expanding it as i get more RAM after Christmas.

I would recomend getting yourself a copy of VMware to set your own lab up, outside college. Also, for the A+, get an older machine that you can mess around with and learn what everythings is. Remove Hardware, re-install it, rebuild systems, ect, having practical experience doing all that, not just the theory, will help you allot!

You do not need to spend thousands on a system for your A+. But like I said, we don't know what you've got at home, so it's hard to tell you exactly what you will need to buy. [​IMG]

anyway, that just my 2p, kinda rambling and off course a little bit, but I hope you will find at least some of the above info usefull [​IMG]

Good luck, and have fun :!:

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hi ant and welcome to the boards. I've just court up with this thread and I've gottaay that you don't believe everything M$ say. I started on the MCSE track when it was the NT course and changed over to W2K. M$ then said it was for people who was in IT and a network environment. You can do it if you do not work in IT, I know coz I did it. So go for it there are plenty of people here who are more than willing to help you through the course. hey, that why we are here!!!

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. ant2005uk

ant2005uk Byte Poster

Thanks for all the advice you guys are great. Well currently I own a Sony Vaio Laptop with a Celeron 2.8 Ghz processor, 512mb ram, 40 gb hd running win xp home. Like you suggested, I will proberbely get hold of an old desktop machine to mess around with for my a+, I need to get more familar with the components, practice re-building etc. Maybe I will also need something to practice installing, configuring win xp pro do you think as well? I do not have the software you mentioned for setting up my own lab but I will look into it. I know that the workshop is not far from where I live, about 10 miles away so maybe they have facilities I could use there too. Many thanks for your advise, Im going to go for it in the summer, ill be all set and ready, and I will take your word for it about the MCSE :D

7. saaliha

saaliha New Member

Hi i just signed up to do the web design gold package with national it learning center, and wanted to ask what everyone still thinks of this company.
    I recently signed up with skillstrain which was a nightmare and i canceled it and after searching around i decided national IT learning center seemed the most reliable even though their prices are quite high.

Anyone done this course? Any feedback much appreciated.

Great forum btw :D