advice welcome

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by mochara, Jan 5, 2015.

1. mochara

mochara New Member

hi , newbie here, i am just starting the ccent , could anyone give me any advice on the best way to study , i work so college full time is out and i am not very interested in going to night class trying to ram it all in to 14 classes.
    i have all the nuggets and cisco official cert guide.
    but where to start is a pain
    i have packet tracer and thought maybe gettin stuck into putting a network together might get my head in gear to take in the theory a bit better.
    but its hard to find labs from beginners .
    can anyone give advice on either signing up to some online course or taking paying through the nose and going to an evening class.
    by the way i work for a cable tv company as an RF/broadband tech and i have a good bit of knowledge with computers

WIP: ccent, ccna
  2. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Speak to lab rat, he will tell you best kit for labs, but your approach is the right one, physical kit to play with is by far better than anything else.

If you can find a week and a few bob also then would be worth going to a class of Cisco lab rat if your close enough to London. I've done a few courses of sorts that he has run and they have all been very good and he's a very good teacher.

Dependent on your actual level of knowledge and/or expertise as well, it could be worth while startin on N+, hard to guage where your knowledge is on Networking based on above.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  3. mochara

mochara New Member

cheers for the info pal. i am close to dublin actually, i had thought about the N+ , but i thought i might as well be in big if i am going to be in at all.
    the only network exp i have would be on modems or wireless routers, which would be very little in the scheme of things.
    and age probably not in my favour either at 40 years

WIP: ccent, ccna
  4. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Well N+ you could probably knock out in a few months just studying from home if you put the time in, and may well be beneficial to your basic understanding etc. N+ is vendor neutral so really does show you more basic concepts, than Cisco concepts.

That said the CCENT in recent years has adapted I would say to cover a lot of the same stuff in the N+, so you could probably start CCENT, however I would say the study will be longer and the exam harder.

Defo get some kit though, will very much help your learning, I may have a few old training bits etc lying around I could mail across to you as well to help. You would still need to check the latest cyllabus as the stuff I have is probably still aimed more at the old exam, but even so, good to have.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!