Advice sought to stop 'podjacking' at parties...

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by delorean, Oct 31, 2008.

1. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Ok, so a friend has asked me to put together a playlist for her Halloween party tomorrow (tonight if you live in Australia aka: 3/4's of a mile away from the Sun). I agreed on the premise that we have some sort of 'protective' measure in place to prevent my newly coined term 'podjacking'.

'Podjacking' I will explain to you is a term used when you have a playlist running at a party and some drunk gits (usually found in the kitchen for the entire night, what is it with staying in the kitchen at a house party?) find the ipod and start putting on songs they like from your vast library of choonage. Much to the annoyance of other guests and much to my embarassment when someone finds out I've a Su Pollard album on it or something (in my defence I actually don't, it's just an example as I dare not reveal some of the absolute TURDS I have for music on my iPod).

So my question is, what measures can you take to ensure 'podjacking' doesn't happen? Is there a way to lock the iPod besides the hold button? Or do I simply use a stern "get off that iPod or you can go home!" (add in lots of expletives though and threats of ultra violence).

Advice given will be consumed and appreciated. Mercy boo cup.

[​IMG]

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I would have thought the best way was to lock it in a cupboard and get a longer lead from it to the amplifier?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

What he said.

Lock it in a drawer, cupboard or cash tin etc.

Alternatively, have it on full view in a room full of people where you can see the villains coming...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what they said, also a large chopping device and a few words usually does the trick to stop people using things that are not theirs :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

How about only syncing the ipod with that play list?

Once the party is over you can always resync and put everything else back on.

6. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Thanks for all the tips folks! Get this though, I think I may have answered my own question:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1350?viewlocale=en_US

The only thing is though, I don't know if it has a three strikes you're out rule or similar. I don't want people grabbing at the iPod tonight and trying to guess the key code and then after 3 attempts or something it shuts you out until you connect it to your PC.

Has anyone used the screen lock feature before? Does it work in that way? If it doesn't shut you out from incorrect attempts then I think this may be the perfect solution!

edit:

Also, this bothers me too:

Happy Pagan Holiday to all!!

[​IMG]

7. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

If the screen lock thing doesn't work because of the sleep mode thing, this may well be what I end up doing.

8. ablacklock90

ablacklock90 New Member

We did this at a party I went to recently but once people had had a few drinks nobody noticed the ipod disappear and the thief got away.:(

9. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

You could just not go to parties.

Simplest solution.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  10. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

The screen lock feature worked a treat! You can only play or pause the ipod while it is on. My iPod did not go in to sleep mode at all. Huzzah!

My head felt like it was going to fall off the next day though... damn Budwesier Extra! :)

11. FreeMan

FreeMan Bit Poster

what about putting in on top of something quite high, you just need a long cable ...
    if the guy tries to hijack/steal it, he will be very much noticed...

for the sleep mode, you should check the setting options, cause you might simply have it set on 'never lock'...