Advice RE CCNA Lab

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by CheeseOnToast, Mar 16, 2008.

1. CheeseOnToast

CheeseOnToast Nibble Poster

Hi guys,

I am working through my CCNA at the academy at the moment but am aiming to have a decent working knowledge of the lot so I am building a lab at home.

I have got some kit already and I think it is mostly suitable but would like your advice.

At present I have all with the 12.3 IOS loaded

4 x 1600 series routers (1603 I think)
    1 x 2503 router
    1 x 2512 (I think) frame relay switch

I thought I basically had enough but would need a switch too, maybe a 2950 series, would you think that would be suitable?

I also read that ideally I should get 3 switches to replicate STP shortly - would you advise this?

I'm guessing the kit I have will not be up the required level for my CCNP (I think some topics need 12.4 IOS now)

So the other thing I'm thinking is, as I haven't purchased the switches yet, am I better off getting higher level model switches to cope through the CCNP? Or will the 2950's suffice?

Your advice is greatly appreciated dudes 8)

Also going to get an access server as soon as I have money to whizz up the wall ;)

Certifications: ITIL Foundation
    WIP: CCNA
  2. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

CheeseOnToast,

Which semester are you currently in the Cisco Networkng Academy?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  3. CheeseOnToast

CheeseOnToast Nibble Poster

Just started Sem. 3 mate

Hope you can advise.

Cheers,
    Phil.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation
    WIP: CCNA