Advice Please :D

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by darrenwis, Feb 21, 2009.

1. darrenwis

darrenwis Bit Poster

Hi,

I have decided to go ahead and self study for my MCDST.

I already hold an I.T. degree so know a bit about windows xp. Baring this in mind how long did it take everyone to pass the 2 exams?

Is this the best book for the first exam?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MCDST-Self-Paced-Training-70-271-Pro-Certification/dp/0735622272

Look forward to your replies!

Darren

Certifications: BSc (hons)
    WIP: A+
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Hi Darren,

Welcome to CF, I have some study guides which you can find in my signature which should help you along the way.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Yeah the Microsoft books should suffice. If you struggle with the books alone then maybe a CBT package may be worth purchasing. Check the forums for decent CBT providers.

Check out Craigies guide and see how you go following that. Everybody learns differently and the length of time it takes will vary. You will know when you are ready. The CD's with the 2 books will have tests that can assess whether you are ready.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  4. darrenwis

darrenwis Bit Poster

Thanks for the replies so far.

When I am ready where do i book the test and where is it normally held?

Is it a case of ringing MS up and find a local test centre?

5. darrenwis

darrenwis Bit Poster

And also just to confirm, I do the windows xp one and can upgrade the qualification to vista?

How did everyone find it?

Darren

6. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Go to the prometric website and register. Then you can log on and search through the testing centres that are local to you. You book through the site also.

I found the MCDST not too tough but i had done a few exams before that which i would class as tougher. You should be fine if you have used XP a bit and study the material.

You can upgrade, MCDST to MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician

To do so you take one exam 70-261.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  7. darrenwis

darrenwis Bit Poster

Thats great thank you very much.

Did you find when you had the MCDST you had more options for a career in i.t. Problem i have at present is that i am still waiting to have my first i.t role even after my degree.

8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Don't give up, your first job in IT will come.

As for having the MCDST giving you more options, that's a yes and no answer. While no cert/qual can guarantee you a job, it does improve your prospects, as it's only part of the whole picture.

You have your degree, you're going for the MCDST, have you checked out your CV? What about your cover letter? There's also the interview skills, any soft skills that you possess, appearance (dressed for the interview/job), attitude, plus there's also the other candidates you're up against.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. darrenwis

darrenwis Bit Poster

Thanks Ken,

I'm going to purchase the book for MCDST today, however before I do, do you think i should study A+ and N+ before hand? Could i pass both of these in say 3 months?

Regards,
    Darren

10. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Perhaps you might be better off with just one post rather than asking similar questions in several forums.

I've answered your MSDST question and will say the same here. There is no answer as to how long it will take you. What I can add further form your posts here is that, bearing in mind your lack of experience, it will probably take you longer than some others.

If you have no expereince at all then, yes, you should look at A+ and N+ before jumping straight in.

Get to know your way around the various cert info areas e.g. MSDST is here

MS requirments for sitting the exams are here - note it says :

Audience Profile
    Candidates for this exam support end users who run Microsoft Windows XP Professional in a corporate environment or Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition in a home environment. They should have experience using applications that are included with the operating system, such as Microsoft Internet Explorer and Microsoft Outlook Express, as well as the productivity applications used in a corporate environment, such as Microsoft Office applications.

Candidates should be able to resolve operating system issues by telephone, by connecting to an end user's system remotely, or by visiting an end user's desktop. They should have a working knowledge of operating in a workgroup or Active Directory domain environment and how end users are affected by each environment.

This exam, when combined with 70-272 (the applications exam for desktop support technicians), should validate that a candidate can successfully answer, or escalate, all calls from end users.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)