Advice on where to start???

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by awb123, Oct 8, 2006.

1. awb123

awb123 New Member

Hi all,

Thanks everyone for the advice on IT Training companies. I have decided to go down the route of self certification and am now looking for advice on where to start?

I am looking for advice from people whom have already passed their MCSE or in the middle of it. In what order would you recommend doing the exams, by this I mean the core exams that you have to take not the elected ones.

My preference would be to start with what people class as the hardest and work my way to the easiest (not that I am saying any of them are easy). Or if this is not recommended and courses overlap etc and naturally follow on from each other etc.

Everyone's advice would be greatfully appreciated. Thank you.

Andy

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Personally I wouldn’t study that way mate. There is slight overlap between the 70-270 and 70-290 so it mates sense to start at the *beginning* so to speak. 8)

Perhaps start with the 70-270 and take it from there. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Me personally, i would recommend the client (70-270), then the server (70-290), then the 70-291, 70-293, 70-294. For the design exam I did the 70-298, studied for both design exams and thought the 298 was "easier" than the 297, but that does depend on individual experience.

Apart from the first two (Client & Server) I would study each one separately. There is alot of info in each course and to study them all at once you may get "infomation overload".

That's my 2 cents

-Ken

p.s. I'm also assuming that you already have real world experience. Read here: "MCSE candidates should also have at least one year of experience implementing and administering network operating systems and desktop operating systems."

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Andy, if you were to start with the hardest, you would fail dismally. The exams tend to get tougher and tougher as you progress. There were the odd exceptions to that in the 2000 route but IMHO it makes sense to start at the beginning and work your way through to end with the design exams.

It would not be possible to start with a design exam without having learnt the fundamentals first.

Have you considered the A+ Net+? These two exams are an excellent precursor for MCSE.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. awb123

awb123 New Member

Thanks for the advice, I am currently working in a networking role and have 2 years experience of this and 2 years experience of desktop. I agree with you all that following the route is the most sensible way of achieving results.

No I have not considered any other certs before the MCSE and would hope my experience and knowledge built up over the last 4 years has put me in a good place to jump straight in.

Thank you all for the advice. I was thinking about doing it in order but part of me wanted to tackle the hardest and end with the least hardest. But as you say it follows on from each other.

So thanks again for the advice, taken on board and will begin with the 270.

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Maybe, maybe not. I had seven years experience prior to jumping straight into the MCSE track. There were times when my existing practical knowledge and experience were not sufficient and it slowed my progress down somewhat. In retrospect I believe I should have done the A+ Net+ first, as they are not vendor specific and the Net+ particularly will give you a broad base of info to build upon.

But, I am living proof that it is not mandatory.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)