Advice on training or qualifications get job in IT Support

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by gary_potten, May 5, 2004.

1. gary_potten

gary_potten Bit Poster

Hi all, I am a new member and would ask your advice on how to become a 1st or 2nd line support agent. I have pretty good user level knowledge and basic system administration but I was wondering if any of you brainy lot could give me some help on what qualifications I would need and if possible where to get them. I have looked on the Microsoft website at the MCSE section but it all baffles me HELP!!! I live in Essex so any courses would have to be fairly close.
    Thanks a bunch.
    Gary.

Edit note SimonV: Removed unnecessary Bold

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  2. Rosy
    Honorary Member

Rosy Megabyte Poster

Hey Gary! I am not sure of the reply to you question but know that someone will be along shortly to give you some advice. In the meantime please post a message in the New Members forum to tell us a bit more about yourself (and so you can get to know us better when we all greet you formally of course!)

Hope you enjoy your stay!

Certifications: MOS Master Instructor
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Hi Gary and welcome. If I understand you right, you are an advanced level user and would like to break into IT. The MCSE material looks a bit confusing to you and you'd like to know where to start.

Have I got it right so far?

Anyway, it might help if you told us a little more about your background. Any formal training or experience in computers and computer support?

If you have little or none but are interested in the field, there are probably a number of training programs fairly near you. Quite a number of members here attend or have attended them. I'm "across the pond" in the U.S. so can't really advise you in that area. Someone else will be along in awhile who can.

In the meantime, you might want to investigate the A+ certification as an entry-level qualification. It's generally where most people start out in order to gain a basic understanding of computer hardware and operating system support with a little networking thrown in. Pop down to the A+ forum here and take a look at the READ FIRST announcement for an introduction to this cert.

Feel free to ask lots more questions and look around the place. Glad you could make it here.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. gary_potten

gary_potten Bit Poster

Thanks for you help, I am a high user level but have not got the full technical knowledge, I have attended advanced courses in Adobe Photoshop and quark XPress, all the rest I have picked up by trial and error (quite a few errors, resulting in formatting the drive to fix it!!) I have basic network knowledge, I managed to sort out may home network. Other than that is standard windows instaltion with basic administrator configuration.
    Really greatful for your help.
    Cheers

WIP: MCSE 2003
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Gary - sounds like the CompTIA A+ cert is definitely the starting qual your after, then possibly Network+ to see if you get the "bug" to go on to the MCSE.

I got into Tech Support with those plus MCP (see left), but I'd suggest Support roles are as much to do with personality as they are firm Certs held.

Hope that helps :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Thanks for filling in a few gaps, Gary. I'd agree with Gav then. The A+ then Network+ path is well worn (I used it myself) and will open up quite a few doors for you...even without the more advanced certs.

Certifications: A+ and Network+