Advice on starting the Microsoft Certifications

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by MarkGL, Aug 24, 2011.

1. MarkGL

MarkGL New Member

Hi,

I am currently looking to start gaining the various Microsoft Certifications so as to build up my skills with the hope of making it easier to find a job in the long run. I have just finished a two year college course in ICT and have been looking for a job. At the moment the all important experience is almost impossible to come by and I have read that the certifications can help prove that you have the skills required for a new job.

My question is where do I begin? I am looking more towards the technical side of I.T. like the support and network etc, so would the MTA be a good way to start? Also how do I find a test centre near me, I am finding it incredibly difficult to find centres through searching google?

Thank you for your time.

2. DryPlate

DryPlate Nibble Poster

Take a look at the Microsoft Learning site you can read up on how their certs work and view them by technology and name. I wouldn't go beyond support certifications until you gain work experience. It will look unbalanced to employers and you can only learn so much through training.

The certifications you choose will depend a lot on what you do on a daily basis along with which area you want to work. At the beginning of your career you're going to learn a lot about what you like once you get on the job. Besides Microsoft I would also think about foundation certifications like A+, Network+ and/or Cisco certifications. (CCENT/CCNA)

Prometric is the testing center for most tech companies including Microsoft. Look on the Prometric website to find your local testing center.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCDST, Apple Certified Associate
    WIP: CompTIA Network+, MCITP: EDST 7
  3. MarkGL

MarkGL New Member

Thanks for the response. I've decided on doing the MTA Networking Fundamentals first and work my way up, hopefully getting an entry level job in between. I assume that if I do home study for the certifications I literally just use the various websites around as a way of learning what I need to know?

Are there any well known websites that most people use to learn?

Thanks again.

4. DryPlate

DryPlate Nibble Poster

What are some of the software and hardware you worked on in school? What were some of the class names?

Sorry for not answering your MTA question. I think the MTA is comparable to the Network+ exam but the Network+ is more widely recognized. (I still need to tell someone what MCDST is..) I try not to for just the marketable certs but keep in mind MTA may not be picked up by the resume scanners. (HR and the software the use) Unless you wanted to go for something more advanced then N+, like CCENT or CCNA, I would get Network+. Take a second look at A+ and Network+. You'll want to couple them with whatever you look into at Microsoft. One place to begin is the MCTS: Windows 7, Configuration (Exam 70-680) certification. This will count towards MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technican 7. This will help validate your experience with Windows 7 and your support knowledge.

If you are going to be self taught, which most people do, look through some study book threads here on CertForums and reviews on Amazon. I would also look at CBT Nuggets and Professor Messier, which are both video training websites. Using these as training, you can use practice exam software like CertBlaster and Boson. These will help get you comfortable with computer exams and will generate reports on which areas of the exam objectives you want to restudy.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
    Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCDST, Apple Certified Associate
    WIP: CompTIA Network+, MCITP: EDST 7
  5. MarkGL

MarkGL New Member

Thank you very much for the advice. I think the MTA may well be too basic and as you say the MCTS together with the A+ and Network+ might be the better options.

I will start to research each certification and look into purchasing study guides.

Thanks again.