Advice on Options

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by kieranlane, Jan 13, 2011.

1. kieranlane

kieranlane New Member

Hey, First post after reading a very long thread about the Zenos Academy trying to decide on it myself. After reading that I have a pretty good idea that Training Providers are probably best not to go for and that self-teaching is better but I wanted to ask for some advice, I'll explain my situation first might make a little more sense :);

Im 16 currently at First Year of my Sixth Form taking my AS options in Maths, Further Maths, Product Design, IT and Computing. I saw the Ad for the Zenos thing on Facebook (I know very reliable :P) clicked on it on a whim to be honest. It looks pretty good and its all free and, just for reference you get,

• Key Skills Assessment & Certification
    • Technical Training & Certification
    • NVQ Level III Assessment & Certification
    • Internationally recognized Vendor Certification, eg Microsoft or CompTIA
    • Business Skills

Its currently for 16-18 year olds and they accept a few 19 year olds based on Government funding for the area. Since I will be finishing Sixth Form by July 2012 and they start intakes at February and September would it be worth do it for the 5 months? I know what has been said on the other thread but this would be in the VERY small gap between the September and my 19th Birthday in May (The cut-off point in effect). Its more qualifications etc... so is it just worth having because its free?

Fairly lengthy sorry about that and yeah its not for a couple of years but I'm thinking ahead just trying to have as many qualifications as possible. Also this Zenos pays £100 a week to you for attending Monday to Friday 9-5 which over 5 months, about £2000, could be helpful to pay for more exams to take whilst trying to get into University, of which I assume start their intake in the usual September? But any thoughts ideas, places to start learning will be a great help and its very much appreciated :D

Kieran

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
    Certifications: As Of None LOL
    WIP: All of Them :P
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Personally I would study for some entry level certs between school and uni – less risk! 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'd recommend self study of some entry-level certifications, such as the A+, Network+, and MCDST, while looking for an entry-level IT job.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

If what u said is correct that they admit a few 19 years old too, then i think it's ok if they could allow u to attend and complete the course, when u have already been there for 5 months.

For what i know, students have been quite successful with Zenos.

Self study and knock off the entry level certs.

Welcome to CF!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS, Brainbench: XP and Vista [Master]
    WIP: Bachelors:Computer Science
  5. kieranlane

kieranlane New Member

Thanks for the advice its very much appreciated :biggrin

Will do any thoughts on where to start? Or doesn't really matter :)

Thanks again,

Kieran

PS\ karan1337 they say some pretty hard to believe figures on their site from your experience do you think there true or a bit of an exaggeration? Obviously I know they're trying to sell it to you but always good to know :) If you really don't know no worries there are quite a few threads in this and other forums about Zenos so lots of reading anyways xD

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
    Certifications: As Of None LOL
    WIP: All of Them :P
  6. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

You're welcome.

Actually, it does matter. U don't start with MCSE active directory exams. As BosonMichael already said:

DO exactly that, nothing more needs to be said.

What would happen if u add 100 to 900, that equals 1000 (that seems a larger figure than 900 and makes an impact). I hope u get the point :)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
    Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS, Brainbench: XP and Vista [Master]
    WIP: Bachelors:Computer Science