Advice on getting started???

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by jono1999, Jan 14, 2007.

1. jono1999

jono1999 New Member

Hiya all, hows things? :D

Im new to the forum and also im new to IT.

Ive started the A+ course (and after that the N+) and i am looking for any advice anyone has, from how to gain some experience to what to expect from the course.

Cheers in advance to anyone who can help!!

Certifications: none at all
    WIP: A+
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF! :biggrin

How are you studying for these courses? The A+ will give you a solid foundation in computer hardware and software that will enable to progress to something more difficult like Network+. Studying for the A+ should involve alot of hands-on as well, pulling components out and putting them back in and possibly building a pc from scratch!

The book everyone seems to use and is the "best" book on the market is A+ Certification All-in-one Exam Guide

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. jono1999

jono1999 New Member

Im doing it with Scheiddeger. Its going well so far but one thing is worrying me. There are lots of tables with specifications for all kinds of stuff. Surely you dont have to remember all of these right?:eek:

Whats in the book?

4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Nope you need to know them!

Hard drive standard... cpu speeds...cable speeds... the whole lot!:biggrin

5. jono1999

jono1999 New Member

Seems a bit much to remember!

Are you studying for it or have you passed?

6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Just make sure you make some notes and highlight the areas you are not sure on then write some question on your weak areas.

You can always post them here under the A+ section of the forum. The CF community is very friendly and knowledgeable. All of us at one point or another have been in the same postion you are now in8)

If you are worried about how you are going to remember all of the data, write it out parrot fashion, do some practicals by getting hold of an old PC and if you still worried about the course talk to your tutor or students on the forum.

From what I heard the learning provider has a student portal?

Good luck with your studies:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

yes and i have a copy of that book....

8. jono1999

jono1999 New Member

Thanks for the advice (and "the book").

There is a student portal but it has no forum! I will stick around here i think coz it does look a good place to be:D.

9. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I passed my A+ a few months ago and there isnt any easy way to remember, but ya need to get the tables in your head. I had a good method of remembering the IRQ's and i never got a single question on them tho. I was gutted. :)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  10. jono1999

jono1999 New Member

Thats just typical!

So what have you done since you passed raffaz?

11. Raffaz

Im busy studying for MCDST, im down Birmingham in the morning for a few days workshop stuff. Il try and find my notes for the IRQ stuff coz i had some good methods for remembering them if ya want them

12. jono1999

jono1999 New Member

That would be top. Anything that will help.

Cheers mate!

13. Raffaz

The IRQ thing i had was simple, but i havent got things for all of them. These helped me, but may do nothing for you :) Il try and explain. This was a symple thing to remember some, so i could write them on my sheet in exam

IRQ
    0 - System timer - I remembered this by turning the 0 into a clock and associating it with time
    1 - Keyboard - Had nothing for this
    2 - Linked to 9
    3 - COM 2,4,6,8 - IRQ is odd number, COM is an even number
    4 - COM 1,3,5,7 - IRQ is even number, COM is odd number
    5 - LPT2 - 5+2=7 which links it to other LPT
    6 - Floppy - I remembered this by substituting the p's for 6 flo66y sort of inverted p
    7 - LPT1
    8 - Real time clock - Turned the 8 into an egg timer
    9 - Linked to 2
    10 - Available
    11 - Available
    12 - PS/2 - Remembered by changing to PS12 / for 1
    13 - Maths co processor - Didnt like maths so was unlucky 13 :)
    14 - Primary IDE
    15 - Secondary IDE

I know some of them are totally daft lol, but they helped me by associating certain things. Also the more i could remember, the less i had to guess with. Hopefully ya will find a couple of them usefull. Try and think of things that might help ya with things i couldnt think of aswell.

14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, jono. It is if you try to memorize the whole book. I remember back in the day when a neighbor suggested that I try to get certified as an A+ (I was unemployed at the time). I bought the Mike Meyers book that's been suggested and started reading.

Keep in mind that I had no PC hardware experience whatsoever. I was even afraid to open a PC for fear I'd break something. My initial assumption that I could pass the exams without any practical experience was faulty and if by some miracle I managed to pass, I'd be a poor PC tech if I couldn't actually "walk the walk".

In my case, I took a two year course at my local uni on PC and Network support. The access to instructor led classes, interactions with other students and labs made all the difference.

Now I have the basic foundation to where I *can* get a hold of a book and use it as a self-study platform to expand my skills. The real difference in taking the A+ exams is that you'll remember what you did in terms of hands on...not just what you read.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Yeah, all those tables are much easier to "remember" if you work with the technology. Take a PC, tear it apart, put it together, install an operating system, load drivers, etc. It's well worth the work you put into it.

Best of luck!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

My suggestion for remembering all those things is to buy Derren Brown's (Wikipedia entry) book. I got it for Christmas and read the first half of the chapter on memory techniques last night and already this morning I can remember the order of 20 playing cards. I went for the full deck but I'm not quite there yet. Not only is it hilariously written, it's also amazingly simple to learn the techniques in it. I guarantee if you get a copy and apply what it says, it will help you with your studys. I wish I'd read it before I took my A+ that's for sure.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270