Advice needed

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Rob1234, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Hello,

I need some advice I am currently working in a 1st line roll have been for the past 12 months, I also do some 2nd line and have access to all the servers and part of my job is creating/updating users in AD. I also have completed the A+, N+ and MCDST.

I have to decide over the next few weeks what training I would like to do for the next year, and this is where I am a little stuck. As I am not sure what path to take I can not go down the Cisco root as a few people are already doing that and my boss does not want everyone learning the same thing.

I am quite interested in security but I don’t have the experience for that so don’t think at this stage of my career it would benefit me?
    My boss has mentioned ITIL which I will look in to a bit more seems boring but might look good on my CV?
    Then there is the Microsoft server certifications which I am leaning towards the most, the only problem is I do not have the required experience for these but I still think they might be worth pursing after all as work are paying for all this I might as well get as much training as possible.

If anyone has some advice or maybe could mention some certifications I have not thought of it would be much appreciated.

Certifications: A few.
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

ITIL is a very "dry" subject, certainly at the Foundation level. However, if long-term, your goal was to get into IT Service Management or something like that then it could prove very useful.

Probably, in your case I would look to start on MCSA tho' and if work are paying, perhaps point out to them that it would benefit you (short -term helping with studies) and them (longer term having more certified technicians) to let you get more involved with the servers at work

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. Rob1234

I see I thought the MCSA was retiring soon and the new MCTS certifications where the ones to be going for?

4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Businesses in general are slow to respond to changes in technology, more so in times of recession.

Any certs based around Server 2003 will be valid for a good number of years to come and are also more likely to be directly relevant to your current work and any new job you go for in the short-term.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

MCSA(legacy certs) in not retiring,its the exam that make em up that might retire(there is an earlier post on exams that will retire next year March) but not anytime soon though The MCTS just like the MCITP are just upgrades and can also be referred to new generation certs..

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Have you thought about looking into the Comptia Security+, this does give a very good base to build upon. As for the ITIL, this is a cred that more and more companies are looking into/getting into. I have only done the foundation and I do have to say that it is very dry and boring - however it does look good on the CV and if you are interested in security, ITIL does have a part relating to it (that really was the only part that really interest me).

Sorry mate, while there are some MCTS & MCITP exams that are upgrades, alot more aren't and are full exams. Just like there are some MCP exams that are upgrade exams, the same thing goes for all new gen exams.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. Rob1234

I have the A+ and N+ and I learnt a lot from both of these the only problem is when I go to interviews and tell the potential employer I have these they often say what are they? as they haven't heard of Comptia.

And my boss feels I should do more well known certifications from Microsoft, Cisco etc.

8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It depends on who interviews you, if the person is into developing their IT staff then they will know Comptia. If it's a person from HR or a manager that is not in touch (from my experience) then they will have only heard of the big names.

All I can say is that the certs like the Security+ will help you later on with the more harder and vendor specific security exams from MS. Plus as it has the advantage of being vendor neutral, so if you end up working in a non-MS environment...

But the choice is yours :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security