Advice needed please??

Discussion in 'A+' started by keane14, Nov 22, 2009.

1. keane14

keane14 Bit Poster

Hi Guys,

I need a bit of advice on a computer that i am trying to fix.

When i boot this computer i hear 1 beep that sounds okay, but then nothing loads the screen stays blank! Is this a hard drive issue because the os does not load? I dont seem to be able to get into the BIOS.

I did boot it a few weeks ago and i had to option to be able to start windows in safe mode but i had to go to work and did not have time to play around with it then so i had to shut it down, and i have not been given that option since.

The computer is about 5/6 years old, i bought it from new and has given me trouble free computing until now. I have a new computer so this would be a good one for me to fix and play around with.

Any pointers would be great, studying the A+ at the moment but have little practical experience.

Many Thanks!!!!

Certifications: Comptia A+ 2009 Edition
    WIP: Network +
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

More information would help to diagnose the problem as this issue described could be a hardware issue i.e. the motherboard, power supply unit or hard drive etc.

I would take out the hard drive and if you're confident connect it to your new computer and try booting up. Alternatively, put in a bootable Wins XP OS CD and select the R - repair option when prompted.

This would be a good time to explore and get hands on experience in terms of troubleshooting. Best wishes and lets know how you get on.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Check the boot sequence (in the BIOS) and make sure that the hard drive is in the list, perhaps put it first in boot order just now.

If it still doesn’t boot then disconnect all non-essential hardware components (such as the CD\DVD) drive and then boot the computer again.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

if you are getting no display but you see lights come on etc then it could be a motherboard issue but most likely the ram or psu.

you need to perform a bench test.

disconnect everything for the psu
    take the motherboard out of the caser and place it on a non conductive surface DO NOT PUT THE MOBO ON TOP OF AN ANTI STATIC BAG
    plug in the power supply
    one stick of ram
    graphics card
    and hard drive
    power up

if you get nothing replace that stick of ram with the other one
    if you get nothing see if you can borrow some good known ram to try.
    if you get nothing see if you can borrow another power supply

or you could try test the power supply with a multimeter

If you post the full specs of the system including brand and power of the psu we could help more

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Stupid question alert as I don't do much with hardware other than replace servers, installs etc. Why wouldn't you do this GBL?

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

I have no idea why this isn't preferred either? It's something I've done since birth.. considering it's packaged in an anti-stat bag for a reason..

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  7. Trogdor

Trogdor Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

The antistatic bag is essentially a Faraday Cage. The outer surface is conductive to prevent a build-up of a charge which could damage whatever is in the bag. Placing the component on the bag or even in a bag that is not closed offers no protection and can actually damage components as the outer surface is conductive. More info here. Just my 2p...

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+, MCDST, HP APS Server, HP APS Desktop / Laptop
    WIP: ITIL, CCNA, MCSA, and BSc
  8. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Brilliant thanks, makes perfect sense when you think about it. Learn something new every day, Rep for you and GBL

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  9. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

Why do you have to take it out the case?

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  10. Trogdor

Trogdor Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Not to add too many cooks to this broth, but have we ruled out graphics card? Is there a graphics card? When you start the PC, you get the beep but after that does it sound as if it is booting, i.e. is the drive seeking, drive activity light flickering etc. If this is all happening and assuming there is a graphics card in the PC, might be worthwhile removing the card and plugging the monitor into the onboard monitor port on the MOBO to rule it out.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+, MCDST, HP APS Server, HP APS Desktop / Laptop
    WIP: ITIL, CCNA, MCSA, and BSc
  11. greenbrucelee

Exactly, the best place is a wooden bench or desk (hence the name bench test) or the motherboards cardboard box.

To eliminate components and stop any fiddling about inside the case plus you can check the standoff to make sure the mobo isn't shorting on the bottom of the case

or putting the card in another pc if there is no onboard sound. More often than not if the graphics card is dead then the fan won't run and you may get a distorted or no display. A pitched squeeling noise can also occur.

But if I was to guess with this issue the psu will be on it's way out because it will be a prebuilt system with a generic low quality psu such as HEC or winpower (which if anyone has one should be replaced immediatley and thrown in the trash) as they are abolsute *****

12. keane14

keane14 Bit Poster

Hi Guys,

First of all thankyou for all your help!!

Thought i would give you an update, at present i have taken a known good HDD and tried it in the manchine and all is the same, i put the know good HDD back into the original computer and it boots fine.

The make of the PSU is FSP Group INC.

I think that the computer does have a graphics card, the monitor plugs into a expansion card, sorry if iam sounding a bit of a thickie!!!

I do have a multimeter but i need to work out how to use it!

I will give you further updates, as and when!!

Many Thanks.

13. greenbrucelee

Can you please post the full specs of the system.

This isn't a hard drive issue.

FSP power supplies are basically junk and are best used as book ends or door stops.

To use a multimeter you turn it on, then you put the positive probe in the positive end of the 24 pin ATX connection on the motherboard and the negative probe in the negative end of the 24 pin ATX connection on the motherboard. What you are essentially looking for is the the 12v rail is stable and is giving out 12v + or - 10% is deemed to be ok but I wouldn't use a PSU that was giving less or more than 5% but that is just personal opinion.

If you can tell me what the full specs of the PC is and if it does have a graphics card I can tell you what a good amperage (which is what is important with power supplies is) for your 12v rail is and if that psu is up to scratch.

Generic PSUs tend to die pretty quickly especially if they have been pushed, they also tend to take something with them when they die. My suggestion to you would be to replace that power suppliy with a known good brand even if this is not the main issue as you will get peace of mind from a known good brand. Good brands are: Seasonic, Corsair, CWT, (Thermaltake toughpower units only), and PC power and cooling.

Again please post the entire specs so we/I can make a better judgement of what is going on.

14. greenbrucelee

The model number of the psu would be nice too.

I can tell you that their best psu only produces 24A on the 12v rail, my farts generate more amperage than that :D plus only a few of their products have an 80% efficiency rating.

15. keane14

keane14 Bit Poster

The computer is a packard bell imedia 1529, not sure where i would find the exact specs.

16. greenbrucelee

Found the specs on the internet.

If you look at the psu there will be a sticker on it can you post the exact model number?

From what you have posted about this issue either the power supply is dead or your ram is. Ram and faulty powr supplies can cause non powering up issues.

Do you have a psu you can use on this system? perhaps from your own computer.

Or borrow some know good compatible ram? (you will the qvl list of ram from the manufacturers website).

17. keane14

keane14 Bit Poster

Hi,

Thanks for getting back!!

The model number of the PSU is FSP250-60GEN!

I am still working on the replacement PSU, so i may have to go with the multimeter. Will give you updates as and when.

Sorry this is taking a while work, kids, college, playing football ETC, well you get the picture!

Cheers!

18. miflandia

miflandia Byte Poster

Hello All.
    I am a really newbie. And maybe did not get the problem right. But if that is my pc, i would try a known good monitor first. (as you wrote you have an other pc)
    May be i am really unexperienced( it is true), but the 1 beep sounds ok to me, with the cpu or memory the POST would give you a series of beep. So the machine maybe working (if you hear a fan, or hdd noise) and the monitor broken. After the monitor test i would check the PSU. Than the Mother board.
    If there are multiple problems than it will be hard to find the problem, but if you solve that problem that will be a great hand`s on experience.:)
    good luck

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+