Advice - Keep hoping or just get any job!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by WalterMinty, Mar 5, 2012.

1. WalterMinty

WalterMinty Bit Poster

Hi,
    Looking for a bit of advice on what to do.
    I'm currently unemployed, made redundant in December from a Sales Manager job.
    I've had some experience in Desktop support while working for a rental agency (they basically couldn't afford IT support, so I helped with any problems, set-up email accounts, upgraded hardware, keeping their small network ticking over).
    I have CompTia A+ (passed 2 years ago), and while I'm off work, I'm studying for MCITP (windows 7).

I've applied for over 30+ IT jobs, and getting no where, there are so few jobs that come up for 1st Line support, and when they do the recruitment companies receive over 50+ applications!!
    I now have about 3 months left of redundancy money to keep me going, after that I have to get a job. The problem is, i could get a Sales job tomorrow, but I HATE sales! and have always wanted to get into IT. Should i wait and pass my MCITP and keep hoping? or give up and just get a job that i don't like?
    Any advice, or shoulder to cry on would be great.

P.S - as an example of how tough it is on the job front; I went for a 13K:eek: a year job as software support for a mid-size company -There were 3 stages to the interview process, including a 30min presentation! - I didn't get passed stage one, as there were candidates with degrees in computer science!

Certifications: CompTia A+
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Only you can answer that question. Go as long as you can afford to go selectively applying for IT Jobs. Once you hit the point where you decide that you really need to be bringing in an income again before things get desperate, start applying for other types of jobs as well.

Ultimately, you can only be selective as long as you can afford it. It all depends on your personal circumstances.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

Things are tough up here in the NW as they are all over the country.

I would keep applying and something will come along. I got my first IT job not because of any IT qualifications (I had none) but because I would fit in the team and i proved i could learn with the self studying. Dont give up.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | 70-680 | 70-685 | MTA Server
    WIP: deciding now...
    WalterMinty likes this.
  4. WalterMinty

WalterMinty Bit Poster

Thanks guys - good advice.
    Get's very frustrating though, but hopefully I'll have a post soon that says "1st Job in IT Yeahhhhhh!!"
    .........or one that says "Ok I give up...Sales here i come Booooooo!!!"

5. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Is there any legs in contracting or temping with sales whilst looking for IT jobs as least that way you have some money coming in whilst being flexible enough to go to interviews at the drop of a hat?

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  6. WalterMinty

WalterMinty Bit Poster

In terms of temping, there's only cold-calling stuff - I know beggars can't be choosers but...Cold-Calling!
    However, just found out that there might be some un-paid IT support work with the council - so hopefully that might go somewhere.