Advice It has been a long time since I have studied server technolog

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by NetEyeBall, Jul 8, 2007.

1. NetEyeBall

NetEyeBall Kilobyte Poster

For the last 4 years I have worked on Medical Information Software (Meditech) and Cisco Networking (NOC troubleshooting). Currently studying for my CCNP although I haven't made much progress lately.

But I want to move out to UT/WY/MT in the US sometime in the next 1 to 2 years. It seems most of the jobs that I have found so far want more of a Network Admin.

So...perhaps it is time for me to start recertifying and updating my skills in MS Server/Active Dir/Virtual Servers.

The question is where to start? Which track do you all suggest? MCSA?

Certifications: CCNA, A+, N+, MCSE 4.0, CCA
    WIP: CCDA, CCNP, Cisco Firewall
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You live in Nashville... and you want to move to UT/WY/MT? :blink Good luck finding jobs, my friend.

That said, you can't go wrong with studying Microsoft... the whole world uses it... even the sparsely populated zones. :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. NetEyeBall

NetEyeBall Kilobyte Poster

There are jobs out there. Salt Lake City isn't too shaby for jobs.

What exam do you suggest first?

Certifications: CCNA, A+, N+, MCSE 4.0, CCA
    WIP: CCDA, CCNP, Cisco Firewall
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you haven't taken any yet, I'd suggest the client exam... whichever one you choose.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. ajs1976

ajs1976 Byte Poster

Go for the MCSA on Windows 2003

I'm assuming you haven't taken any Windows 2000 exams, only NT 4.0 exams

You will need 3 exams based on what you have listed in your profile.

1 Client exam: 2000 Pro (70-210, due to be discontinued in March 2008 ), XP Pro (70-270), or Configuring Vista (70-620)

2 Core exams: 70-290 & 70-291

There is also a requirement for an elective, but you already meet that requirement by having the MCSE on NT 4.0, or you could use your A+/N+ combo.

For more details: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/windows2003/default.mspx

The MS certification program is being overhauled, so you might want to do some research before you get in to deep. Windows 2000 exams are being retired. The 2008 exams are coming. The MCSA and MCSE is being phased out and getting replaced by the MCTS and MCITP.

Certifications: MCSE, CCEA, Sec+, L+, N+
    WIP: 2008, CAG, or CCENT (not sure)