Advice for someone looking to break into IT

Discussion in 'General CompTIA Certifications' started by fahad_rahman, Oct 3, 2013.

1. fahad_rahman

fahad_rahman New Member

I am currently 26 years old and looking for some advice from you guys. I currently work as a Junior Project Manager but am now strongly considering a new career and I want to get into tech support/service desk analyst roles. I realise and understand I will need to start from the bottom as a First Line engineer but I am happy to do so.

I am having extreme difficulty breaking into my first techy role as as I do not have the official certs (however I do have an IT degree from a good university). As a result I have been to visit a company called Just IT who have offered me Comptia A+ Essentials and IT Technician, MCTS Windows Server 2008 , MCTS Windows 7 and CCNA. These courses have been offered to me for 4k. After completion of the A+, Server and Windows 7 exam they start looking for jobs for me and offer a ‘job guarantee’ for a First Line role paying 18-25k. I guess by job guarantee they mean they will be able to get me interviews.

I want some advice from you guys (as I am new to this) if this is a worthwhile move for me? I am taking a pay cut leaving the field I am working in now (IT Junior PM) and want to know if it’s worthwhile me spending so much on these courses.

Is 4k worth the price for all those courses (bearing in mind I want it to be classroom based)? Will I be able to land a good role with the courses? Has anyone heard of similar schemes that work?

Any feedback/advice appreciated.

Thanks

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Please just reply to the Training and Development thread, let's get these other posts deleted.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA