Advent update, out of the frying pan and into the fire!!!

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by free-advice, Feb 18, 2010.

1. free-advice

free-advice Nibble Poster

Hi guys,

Over the last few weeks I have been keeping my head down on CF, as the debacle of Advent going bust has embarrassed me.

The reason I have now decided to put my head above the parapet once again is I read a press release this morning that there is a good chance that all of the ex-Advent students might be transferred to Computeach.

Do Barclays never learn?? This is jumping out of the frying pan into the fire!!!!!!!! Advent where a spin off from Computeach.

I have copied some text below, but if you want to see the press release for yourselves visit

http://www.birminghampost.net/birmi...training-enter-administration-65233-25858446/

“Many of the affected students had arranged finance though Barclays and are still paying for the training while the bank seeks an alternative provider to allow them to finish their courses.

There have been suggestions that another local company - Dudley-based Computeach - could step in to fill the role for those students on IT courses.”

No doubt Barclays, if this is true have not heard about Computeach’s poor reputation, perhaps they should Google ‘ Computeach Complaints’ and they will realise they are not doing Advent students any favours.

FA

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Can't be much worse than what they've got now - which, at the moment, is absolutely nothing.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Truer words never spoken.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Thing is mate, the whole point about this is that Barclays don't care - they never have.
    They didn't care if Advent were any good, they don't care if Computeach are.

The have to cover themselves against this sort of thing.
    The chances are that they already fund Computeach students, and at some point in the past they asked CT what the cost price would be if they ever had to fob students off on them.

CT would have been the lowest bidder.

Of course, the upside of this for CT is that it might mean a stay of execution for them as Barclays may not pull their student funding for a while - but it will happen at some point.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. BosonMichael

I often like to cut to the heart of the matter. :thumbleft

Thanks, Dave. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

On the other hand, the man who has nothing knows that he has nothing and must come to terms with it.
    Isn't it worse to be under the illusion of having something that you haven't?

I should try and phrase that as if someone wise once said it...

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Exactamundo dudes as Leornado would say, and the thats the turtle not the bloke :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Erm... prefix it with something along the lines of "As Confucius once said..." and end it with something like ..."Learning without thought is labor lost; thought without learning is perilous." 8)

9. Trogdor

Trogdor Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

I guess if you are in this situation you have to consider your options. Your money is gone - never to return - so would you rather have crappy training or NO training. The lesser of two evils, but the lesser all the same.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+, MCDST, HP APS Server, HP APS Desktop / Laptop
    WIP: ITIL, CCNA, MCSA, and BSc
  10. BosonMichael

Depends. Bad training CAN be worse than no training at all, both in the time spent and in the misinformation learned. Consider if you were to learn something that was absolutely untrue, such as "PS/2 ports are hot-pluggable", "WEP is secure", "Software RAID is superior to hardware RAID", or "OSPF routes are preferred over internal EIGRP routes".

That said, I have no idea how good or bad Computeach's training is - I mean only to provide a devil's advocate viewpoint. It is likely that their training IS better than no training at all.