Advent Hangover

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by generalgaz, Oct 9, 2010.

1. generalgaz

generalgaz New Member

Hi, I was one of the casualties of the 'Advent fallout' and at the time I was studying for the A+ certification. So when we were let to fend for ourselves I took both the Essentials and PC Technician exams 220-601 and 220-603. I passed the Essentials, but just failed the other one. Because I had hardly any support from Advent, and it took an age to reach the first exam, I have lost the will and patience to study for the new exams. It seems that I have been going over the same old stuff for a long time.
    Recently I have been looking on this site to bolster my enthusiasm again, and I was thinking of self study for the MCDST exams to get me up and running again.
    Would that be a good alternative? Any comments welcome!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
    Certifications: None
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The MCDST is a worthwhile certification to pursue... but I think the bigger concern is not passing the A+ exam. The things you learn with the A+ are skills that create a strong foundation that you build the rest of your learning upon. Continuing with further exams before you have these fundamentals down is like building walls before you've got the floor built or the ground levelled.

I understand that it feels like you're going over the same old stuff over and over... but if you had this stuff down pat, you wouldn't have failed the exam. It is almost certain that you don't have a solid enough foundation yet. I would recommend taking practice exams from a trusted practice exam provider. This will enable you to find out your weak areas so you can concentrate on studying them rather than blindly wandering through the study guide or wasting time rereading it from cover to cover.

Hope this helps. :) You can do it!!!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I agree with Michael on you need to revisit the A+ and reasons why you failed and correct them before moving on. The A+ is seen as a foundation exam and if you failed with that then you might run into similar issues doing the MCDST as well. Did you do practical exercises or just read the books? Practical exercises will help you a great deal. Get yourself a cheap PC to mess around with and you will find it a lot easier to take in the material then reading alone.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011