ADSL Router - PIX

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by turbolad, Dec 13, 2007.

1. turbolad

turbolad Bit Poster

The scenario is, I have a remote office which has a Cisco PIX VPN Firewall - I would effectively like to use the a Routing device as just a modem so it pass all its information onto the PIX's WAN IP Address.

I have 2 Static WAN IP addresses. One for the Modem\Router and one for the PIX.

I have disabled the firewall function and tried to set this up to work with no success. I take it NAT will need to be off and a static route setting. It is possible to just use this device as a "dumb modem". Could you offer any advice?

Thanks Adam

Certifications: A+, Net+, Several course completions.
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

It rather depemds on the model of the router as to how to do this.

As this isn't the usual setup you often have to dig into the docs on the CD (if any) or on the manufacturers site to see how to do it.

Many routers will do this, and you are right in that NAT and the firewall should be off. However - on some, like my Vigor at home, there is no option to switch it off - but certain settings mean that it is effectively bypassed.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. turbolad

turbolad Bit Poster

Thanks for the reply, I understand...it is proving more difficult than was anticipated though.:)

Certifications: A+, Net+, Several course completions.