ADSL connection problems

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by nugget, Aug 30, 2005.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Okay, here's my problem. I have an ADSL connection at home that seems to be playing up. When I got my connection I also got a free USB modem included in the package and also a splitter (I think, little black thing that has a socket for the phone and one for the adsl connection). A short time later I bought my ADSL router and it also came with one of these black splitter things.

The problem I have is every time I get a phone call it interrupts the ADSL connection or loses the connection completely. I can then wait between 1 min and 3 hours for it to re-connect by itself. If I want to do it myself then I can turn the phone 'on' (so I can hear the dial tone) and then I can hear the signals being sent to the ISP. Within seconds of this it picks up the connection and then an IP address but when I turn the phone off it (most times) loses the signal again.

Any ideas how to work this out apart from buying another phone just to try?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

is the splitter plugged into your master phone socket?
    you shouldnt need micro filters if u have a splitter into your primary incoming port, but you may want to get some of those for all the other phones you have in the house
    just a thought

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

okay lets take this from the begining so excuse me if i get too basic... that black thing is the microfilter and should be in the wall socket for the line... your ADSL line should go into one and the phone into the other... if after doing this you still have a prob the filter is more likely broken but the extreme prob could be some conflict on the line...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Yeah, you need filters for all your phone lines as Phoenix and zimbo says. When we moved recently, I forgot about the filters except for the main connection. The DSL link was fine but my phones played up terribly. When I found the box where I'd put the filters, I put them on all the phone connections and it all works just fine now.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I used to get some similar problems with my connection plus others like not being able to connect and having to reset my router 10-15 times before it would, a firmware upgrade on my router sorted things out, take a look at the manufacturers website and check you have the latest firmware version. If not at least you know you have the latest version and can rule that out.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thanks for the help. I have a pic of the thing here. On the description it says it's a microfilter. I have this plugged in to the wall and the adsl line and the phone line plugged in to this. I only have one phone in the house, BUT, I do have a second connection somewhere else (bedroom I think). Trip and Phoenix, do yxou mean I should also plug one of these into the other wall connection even though it's not being used?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Only on sockets where equipment is connected, Nugg :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. IO

IO New Member

I have the same problem as Nugget from time to time, but the connection also goes down with no filters in system or any phones connected. Is this a BT fault,a modem fault, or does it go back to the ISP?

9. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Could be any of them. And the reasons will vary depending.

When it goes can you reconnect immediately? If not, can you connect to the BT test account? If you pick up an ordinary phone and dial a single digit to stop the dial-tone is the result absolute silence? Or can you hear noises? Have you tried another modem?

Lots of questions there!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  10. IO

IO New Member

You're right - lots of questions! Give me time to check them all out - couple I hadn't thought about. But no, I can't always reconnect, sometimes takes ages. And just now, there are no problems, the line is holding. No rhyme nor reason!

11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Could be old wiring, interference from outside (eg radio, EMF, microwave). Poor filters. Bad card down at the exchange (read bacon butty left in the wiring :wink: ) My advice would be contact your ISP and let them eliminate (or otherwise) everything from their end to you. After the BT line enters your house, it's all down to you, but by then you should have a much better indication of what the actual problem might be.

HTH :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Nugg, is your ADSL connection reliable and solid if you unplug the telephone completely from the wall socket?

If so, I would suspect the actual phone may be interfering with the ADSL signals more than it should.

If it's still flaky, well you have an issue with your line/connection to ISP or modem firmware.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  13. IO

IO New Member

Thanks, I'll do a quick check my end of the things already suggested then get on to my ISP if there is nothing obvious.